This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Suspend crashes the Zorin 8

Anonymous

Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:38:58 pm

I have tried to get the "suspend" to work in my desktop. It crashes the os. so that I have to restart the os.
This problem appears only in my desktop. Laptop HP530 works ok. Desktop is a ASUS motherboard
with AMD Athlon 64 bit Dual core 4000+ prosessor.

I have a INVIDIA Corporation G86 (GeForce 8500 GT) graphics card in my computer. I tried to change
the open source graphics driver to NVIDIA - 319 (proprietary, tested) driver, listed in Additional Drivers,
But it did not help. Suspend stacks still the computer. It was indicated to be the recommended driver for
this computer. There were also some other proprietary driver versions but I tested only this 319 tested
version. So, I assumed that the problem is not in the graphics driver. I used a USB live persistent
installation to test this in my desktop. All other works there very nicely using USBlive.

Windows 7 in that same computer works ok. It goes to sleep without any problems at all.

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:09:44 pm

It would appear to be a known bug - last post on ask ubuntu has a workaround:

That workaround did not work for me. However this worked:

I have still no solution but I have found a workaround:

Create a new shellscript named hibernate.sh. Open it with gedit and paste the following code:

Code:
gnome-screensaver-command -l dbus-send --system --print-reply \
    --dest="org.freedesktop.UPower" \
    /org/freedesktop/UPower \
    org.freedesktop.UPower.Suspend

Save it and make it executable. If you want you can create a .desktop file for it. When you run this script it will send your pc into hibernate-mode including the lockscreen. When you wake your pc now networking works. When you use sleep-mode or hibernate-mode the normal way it doesn't.

Thanks to Christopher Paul over here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1212199

Note that you'll need to restart your system once after that (if your network was out due to a suspend when you did the script). Then it works fine.

Also note this script sends your pc to suspend, not to hibernate (the name could be confusing).

[Taken from: http://askubuntu.com/questions/361991/s ... s-in-13-10]

Anonymous

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:20:22 am

Thanks for the workaround info. I may try this if I make a full Zorin 8 installation to my HDD
because the workaround requires additional software or then I may wait for Zorin 9 LTS
release if this bug is corrected there. Does this work from USB live drive?

However if I get it there the start time from USB will increase additionally being long enough
already now. In the Casper file there are now 1.1 Gb setting chances and software additions
which makes it very slow to boot up. I have to check if there are something I could remove to
get it start in a reasonable time.

Anonymous

Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:19:15 pm

I made a try to run that USBlive with modified graphic drivers (Proprietary INVIDIA -319 tested) with my HP530 laptop.
It worked there, but did not shut down from the Awn panel. :o It did not open the shut down window. I made the shut down
by using the Zorin menu power button. It worked. Then I tried to start it in my desktop but did not start there any more.
It stacked to some black window. :(

Then I tried to fix the "Indicator applet 3" running it again in HP530 laptop. But I did not get it fixed. Then I made
a new persistent assembly of whole Zorin os to my USB from .iso file using the Universal USB Installer program to get
back the shut down function, and to get it started in my Desktop. :) So, when changing the graphic drivers to fit with
some specific manufacturers card, you may get incompatibility issues with other graphic systems
. :!: The "open source"
driver alternative seems to work better if using USBlive drive os. with different computers. Trying to fix something
do not always lead to better performance.

We are not yet (or any more) there what was the basic idea of "PC" that it is a personal computer to run what ever software
you like and it will work. The Idea of a generic hardware did not live long.