This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New to Zorin - Admin Pswd and Internet

tomax7

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:37:25 am

Hello!

I've decided to come over to the dark side ;-)

I'm bought one Zorin disk and liked what I see, so now I downloaded the .iso file and installing Zorin 8.1 on about a dozen non-profit machines I help out on who were XP.

But when I loaded one onto an HP 6910p (don't think this has anything to do with it), but I can't get out to the Internet. Click on the Google Chrome icon and it does the spinning dots, but nothing opens.

However, I can see my local network, connect to my Windows 7 machines and transfer music files, and so on, but can't get onto the internet.

Did "IFCONFIG", but says Permission denied.

So I did a "SU" and it asks for a password - I never created an Admin account and my login password doesn't work so what would it be?

Same with doing update via the update icon - says "You are not allowed to perform this action". "You don't have the required privileges to perform this action."

So is there a "Run as Admin" type thing for Zorin?

Like I said, I like what I see, and this will help my volunteers change over without too much problem, as it looks like Windows ;-)

Cheers
Tom

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:00:25 pm

Hi and welcome to Zorin! I suspect that you are logged in as 'guest' - there is a bug with the login screen after install - you need to use your up arrow of the cursor keys on the keyboard to select your user name, then login.

The correct syntax is ALWAYS lowercase!

Code:
sudo ifconfig -a

will list all your network devices and their MAC addresses!

You may need to 'blacklist' some items but the best person to assist is madvinegar (can't find his tutorial)!

tomax7

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:54:45 pm

Thanks for the response and that was exactly the issue, I was logged in as a guest.

That is a bug I imagine, but still what I don't understand is why one can't SU to get admin right? I'm wanting to set this up for a few non-profits and if I have to make everyone log in as admin then where's the protection of Unix/Linux OS?

The syntax was uppercase to emphasis the command.

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi and welcome to Zorin! I suspect that you are logged in as 'guest' - there is a bug with the login screen after install - you need to use your up arrow of the cursor keys on the keyboard to select your user name, then login.

The correct syntax is ALWAYS lowercase!

Code:
sudo ifconfig -a

will list all your network devices and their MAC addresses!

You may need to 'blacklist' some items but the best person to assist is madvinegar (can't find his tutorial)!