This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

how to upgrade from zorin os 6 to zorin os 8 using terminal

andrewjones

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:28:54 pm

i like Zorin OS 8 and would like to use it but it cant boot with my graphics card but Zorin OS 6 will so can i install it using terminal

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:39:28 pm

Hi and Welcome to the Zorin forum! :D

Well at work I have had to be sorting out machines for recycling by using DBAN (Darik's Boot And Nuke). Took the opportunity of attempting to install the Release Candidate of 8 - tried 'nomodeset' and 'acpi=off' to no avail - all I would get is a blank screen - then I remembered another command that is sometimes needed to get 'X' working. My initial attempts led to an experience of another user on here whereby you don't get the panel populated, just squares with a cross in where the applets should be on the AWN Panel that appears at the bottom of the screen.

First off check your BIOS settings. This could be the 'DELete' key or some other key such as F1 or F2 - once there, look for a 'Tab' called 'Power' - If you see a setting on the left which says something like 'acpi' and 'noapic' - set these to 'Disabled'.

Right those key commands - Press the Tab key when the boot menu appears and add:

Code:
forcevesa nomodeset
- [I got to the live desktop but the installer crashed when trying to install from there - no time to try direct install after the added 'code'.]

and see what happens.

You may want to try just:

Code:
forcevesa
to begin with.

Keep us posted! :D