This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] English United Kingdom Keyboard settings

ANG

Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:05:58 pm

Hi,
I have took the plunge and just recently change from Window to Zorin OS 8.1 but I need a little advice.
I have been looking to alter my keyboard settings from English (US) to English United Kingdom Keyboard settings.
So that the @ key is at the ' key and not the ' key.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:08:39 pm

Hi, and welcome to the Zorin forum! :D

First of all have you completey updated your system?

1. Open a terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

2. Installed 'Additional Languages'? You may need to update Language settings first and usually Zorin asks you to do this after installation.

3. Go to Menu | System Tools | System Settings

4. Click on 'Language Support'

5. Click on 'Regional Formats' Tab - use th edrop-down box and scroll until you find English (United Kingdom)

6. Click on 'Apply system-wide'

7. Go back to 'Language' Tab and drag the 'English (United Kingdom) to the top of the 'Language for menus and windows' box.

8. Click on 'Apply system-wide' once more.

9. Check things are as they should be by going back to 'System Settings' window and open 'Text Entry' - 'English (United Kingdom should be highlighted - don't worry about seeing other English packages there you can't remove them!

10. Click on 'Formats' tab and make sure 'United Kingdom is highlighted - if it is not present, click on the '+' button bottom left to add it.

11. Next click on 'Input Sources' Tab - just 'English (UK)' should be showing - if there are others, you can highlight them then click on the '-' sign on bottom left of pane.

12. Click on 'System' Tab and 'Your settings' should show:

Display language: English (United Kingdom)
Input Source: English (UK)
Format: United Kingdom

Look at 'System settings' to the right - if they are different to 'Your settings' click on the 'Copy Settings ...' button and you're done.

13. Log out and back in again to change settings completely or if you prefer re-boot machine and check settings.

Keep us posted! :D

ANG

Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:45:34 pm

Thank you for your reply I will have a look tomorrow as I not at home till late tonight.
I will let you know how I get on
My PC dose have all it's updates well it said I had the latest but I will check it.

pedrothefish

Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:25:56 pm

Thank you for this ...as returning zorin user (9.1) I have just ditched windows 10 :D and am now fully zorinised? My keyboard came up with the American version so I followed these instructions and I'm now using the UK keyboard. Thank you very much

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:49:07 pm

Glad to be of help friend. ;) :D

Will mark as [SOLVED]