This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Restore uninstalled menu selection

boo2014

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:01:41 am

I uninstalled the Lancelot Menu from zorin os 8 and I spent hours on google trying to find out how to get it back. But no luck.

Am I going to have to re-install the entire os now? or is there a way to get back that menu selection?

It's the only one that is easiest to use and I can't believe I uninstalled it.

I even restarted and did a package repair hoping it would put it back, but I have no idea what I am doing.. Help?

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:35:47 pm

Hi there, and welcome to Zorin! I have not managed to do this (delete a menu theme) but don't despair we will do what we can! Now I am not sure if this is packaged as part of 'Zorin' packages but we will give it a go!

1. Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager

2. In the small search box near the top, enter 'Zorin' - you should get two packages showing - if both are in green/ticked - select the packages that appear to be installed then right-click and select 're-install' packages then click on 'Apply Changes'

3. Reboot your machine, then go to Menu button, right-click and select 'Preferences' - see if Lancelot is present once more.

Keep us posted! :D

boo2014

Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:48:43 pm

verious-zorin-os-modification 1.1.8
priemium-zorin-os-modification 1.1.8
zorin-wcg

The above is all that was there and the first was green, I right clicked and hit mark for reinstalation then hit apply button..

I rebooted, right clicked start button, hit preferences, then the drop down for menu selection and sadly it was not there.

Thank you so much for helping me. Got any other suggestions other than reinstalling the entire os over again.

I did notice that in preferences i also do not have a section for button selection at all, unless that isn't on the free version of zorin os8

I only get menu selection, icon selection and sound theme.

boo2014

Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:42:59 pm

I wouldn't have the first clue what you meant by pull the file from os live, however...

I downloaded that file, renamed Lancelot.zip to Lancelot.tar.gz and clicked install in preferences and got an error message that the Theme packages is corrupt? Don't know what that means.. :( did I do something wrong?

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:00:56 pm

Hi, Just use archive manager to create a new folder called 'Lancelot' with all the files, then copy to this location:

/usr/share/zorinmenu/Themes/Menu

To get to the above location, Go to Places (Computer) and wait for window to populate to see /usr folder then search for the rest of the tree! :D

boo2014

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:27:18 pm

Well that should have been easy enough, I could do that day long in windows but zorin won't let me make a folder, move anything, change anything.. .. argh

I tried linux for a brief time years ago when I could right click a folder and open it as administrator, but zorin doesn't give me any visible options..

Hmmm, I'll try this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4851

Anonymous

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:41:47 pm

boo2014 wrote:Well that should have been easy enough, I could do that day long in windows but zorin won't let me make a folder, move anything, change anything.. .. argh

I tried linux for a brief time years ago when I could right click a folder and open it as administrator, but zorin doesn't give me any visible options..

Hmmm, I'll try this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4851

To make changes as [ Root ] !!!!

Firstly > Open Termial = Ctrl+Ctrl+Del

1. Enter > gksudo nautilus
2..Enter > your password
3. A new window will open.
4. From that window you can make your changes....be very careful as what you are doing.

Anonymous

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:58:27 pm

It will probably be much easier for ya to do the following below !!!!

You can run Zorin OS Live from the very same computer and copy the needed files over to the primary system drive.

When Zorin Live is online.
Go > To ...sytem files > usr > share > zorin menu...will be at the very botton...in that file folder you will find the needed menu inside to replace the deleted.
Right click [ Copy ] on the needed Mernu Folder...then paste the folder over to the Documents on you primary Zorin OS drive.
When your logged back on your primary Zorin OS on your computer... right click on the newly copied folder and compress to tar.gz...not zip or rar.
Then you can install it by [ right clicking ] on the Z start button.
If you have trouble getting the menu to take/install.
Go to my [ Zorin OS 8 Menu Section ] for reference.
There is plenty of info to help with the installation....look through the whole thread.
Link : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6149

boo2014

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:07:48 pm

My terminal will not open with that crtl crtrl delete. It opens with crtl+alt+T

But I already did all that anyway, though terminal spit out a bunch of weird stuff while doing it. Ill post at the end of this post. anyway I created a folder in user/share/zorinmenu/menu/ called Lancelot, but when I click on it in the preference drop down it doesn't show the menu. ugh. I can't believe this has become so complicated.

I rechecked and the folder is in there and the files are in the folder.

Oh here is what was spit out in terminal when I used gksudo nautilus

Code:
me:~$ gksudo nautilus
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "libunity-gtk-module.so"
cat: /root/.thumbnails/gnome-exe-thumbnailer.cfg: No such file or directory
cat: /root/.thumbnails/gnome-exe-thumbnailer.files: No such file or directory
rm: missing operand
Try 'rm --help' for more information.
/usr/bin/gnome-exe-thumbnailer: line 20: /root/.thumbnails/gnome-exe-thumbnailer.files: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/gnome-exe-thumbnailer: line 21: /root/.thumbnails/gnome-exe-thumbnailer.cfg: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/gnome-exe-thumbnailer: line 24: /root/.thumbnails/gnome-exe-thumbnailer.files: No such file or directory
wrestool: /vmlinuz: file contains no resources

(nautilus:7473): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Missing callback called fullpath = /root/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks

(nautilus:7473): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Missing callback called fullpath = /root/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks

(nautilus:7473): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_application_uninhibit: assertion 'cookie > 0' failed
me:~$

I haven't the faintest idea what all that means. but it did let me edit eh zorin menu folder.

boo2014

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:22:44 pm

Gizmuntu wrote:It will probably be much easier for ya to do the following below !!!!

You can run Zorin OS Live from the very same computer and copy the needed files over to the primary system drive.

When Zorin Live is online.
Go > To ...sytem files > usr > share > zorin menu...will be at the very botton...in that file folder you will find the needed menu inside to replace the deleted.
Right click [ Copy ] on the needed Mernu Folder...then paste the folder over to the Documents on you primary Zorin OS drive.
When your logged back on your primary Zorin OS on your computer... right click on the newly copied folder and compress to tar.gz...not zip or rar.
Then you can install it by [ right clicking ] on the Z start button.
If you have trouble getting the menu to take/install.
Go to my [ Zorin OS 8 Menu Section ] for reference.
There is plenty of info to help with the installation....look through the whole thread.

I am not sure what that means but I'm going to try it. Thank you.

Anonymous

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:22:44 pm

boo2014 wrote:My terminal will not open with that crtl crtrl delete. It opens with crtl+alt+T

But I already did all that anyway, though terminal spit out a bunch of weird stuff while doing it. Ill post at the end of this post. anyway I created a folder in user/share/zorinmenu/menu/ called Lancelot, but when I click on it in the preference drop down it doesn't show the menu. ugh. I can't believe this has become so complicated.

I rechecked and the folder is in there and the files are in the folder.

Oh here is what was spit out in terminal when I used gksudo nautilus

Code:
me:~$ gksudo nautilus
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "libunity-gtk-module.so"
cat: /root/.thumbnails/gnome-exe-thumbnailer.cfg: No such file or directory
cat: /root/.thumbnails/gnome-exe-thumbnailer.files: No such file or directory
rm: missing operand
Try 'rm --help' for more information.
/usr/bin/gnome-exe-thumbnailer: line 20: /root/.thumbnails/gnome-exe-thumbnailer.files: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/gnome-exe-thumbnailer: line 21: /root/.thumbnails/gnome-exe-thumbnailer.cfg: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/gnome-exe-thumbnailer: line 24: /root/.thumbnails/gnome-exe-thumbnailer.files: No such file or directory
wrestool: /vmlinuz: file contains no resources

(nautilus:7473): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_application_uninhibit: assertion 'cookie > 0' failed
me:~$

I haven't the faintest idea what all that means. but it did let me edit eh zorin menu folder.

I was already thinking ahead of you...just in case.
Use my second option by running Zorin OS Live to replace deleted files.
Make sure you undo any changes before even going any further.
I've done the section option way over 800 times for friends/customers...and it has never failed me to date.
[ No Joke ]
It happens everyday..and I'm one of the very few... that knows what to do...willing to help out locally.

boo2014

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:24:10 pm

Ok Giz. Wish me luck...

Anonymous

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:30:54 pm

Boot the Zorin install disk/usb and run it as a live session without installing.
Usually if you don't touch anything...and let Zorin boot on it's own...it will automatically come online as live session with the desktop.
Then follow the instructions !!!!

Remember you can only copy files to another drive/flash drive . [ Live Session DVD/USB to your primary drive with Zorin Os installed. ]
You will not have any kind of [ Root Access] to move any files while on the live desktop.
There is a way...but I don't want cause anymore confusing situations for ya.

boo2014

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:44:19 pm

Gizmuntu wrote:Boot the Zorin install disk/usb and run it as a live session without installing.
Usually if you don't touch anything...and let Zorin boot on it's own...it will automatically come online as live session with the desktop.
Then follow the instructions !!!!

Remember you can only copy files to another drive/flash drive . [ Live Session DVD/USB to your primary drive with Zorin Os installed. ]
You will not have any kind of [ Root Access] to move any files while on the live desktop.
There is a way...but I don't want cause anymore confusing situations for ya.

Hmm I still might have a problem though, because I never could get this computer to do the live cd thing, it would get stuck on the pretty blue screen with the zorin logo for a long time, then go to a black screen where it is not, and it seems to be doing nothing, just like it did before. Finally I got so sick of waiting for it to do something, I installed it directly and even then it was a night mare I think due to nvidia drivers ..... anyway right now I am on the black screen and it's doing nothing.. ugh

Oh and by the way I have a dell demension 4550 pentium 4 bla bla with 2 gigs of ram.

boo2014

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:53:06 pm

ok I can see this isn't going to work, had the same problem last time. I also put zorin on another old pc and its giving me issues on that, but on that pc i dont' care. So I am going to see if I can get it off of that pc and email it to myself. Or put it on an external drive I have.. i don't have a flash drive and I bought the zorin os8 from zorin website on a cd, so I'm a little confused already by your last post.. I'm determined to get this rascal..

oh geez I just realized I never did get it installed on the other pc either, heck the install didn't even get to the point that I could have it erase windows. so that's not going to work either.. ugh

Anonymous

Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:31:11 pm

No need to bother now...I copied all new fresh menu's ready to install as they are...no changes needed.
Firstly delete the garbage > file/s you added to Zorin Menu...main folder.
Why I say [ garbage ]...that's how Zorin OS see's it.
That's what you were seeing in the terminal. [ garbage feedback ]
Delete any/all recent changes added to the system files.
Zorin OS/Ubuntu gets confused enough..it doesn't need any extra help.
Little Humor !!!! :lol: :lol:
Look at my Menu's Section..if you haven't already... how to install the menu's the right way.
Look over the whole thread real careful like or you'll might miss something important like.
Everything is kind of spread out.

Lucky You !!!!
Here's all of the Menu's !!!! :D :D :lol: :lol: :D :D

boo2014

Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:38:42 pm

wow eee. You don't want me to install all of them do you, Giz? I'm opening your link now to start reading..

Anonymous

Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:50:52 pm

boo2014 wrote:wow eee. You don't want me to install all of them do you, Giz? I'm opening your link now to start reading..

Little overkill huh.... :lol: :lol: ...anyway...you have all of them now.
Just in Case !!!! :D :D
And anyone else that may run into the same problem as you did.
Hope ya get everything situated now.
Let me know how everything goes at the end.

boo2014

Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:52:06 pm

Gizmuntu wrote:
boo2014 wrote:wow eee. You don't want me to install all of them do you, Giz? I'm opening your link now to start reading..

Little overkill huh.... :lol: :lol: ...anyway...you have all of them now.
Just in Case !!!! :D :D
And anyone else that may run into the same problem as you did.
Hope ya get everything situated now.
Let me know how everything goes at the end.

Well I am sure that some one who's lost their favorite menu will be pleased as punch to get it back so easily. I just downloaded it to downloads folder, right clicked on preferences, chose lancelot and there it was yeah.. BUT...

Now I know why I uninstalled it in the first place. somewhere along the way, while playing with colors and settings blindly, I did something that make the black background in the menu turn a horrible shade of tanish brown, and I thought uninstalling it would fix that.. but now that I have it back it's still that horrible brownish color.

The reason I was messing around with stuff like that in the first place was because my icons don't show up the way they should. Some times I can't see if something is checked or not because it doesn't show, I have to hover over it to see if it's checked. I think it has to do with graphic drivers that don't work well with nvidia card, but I am not sure. There are so many settings and half the time I forget where the settings were so I can't remember what did what.

Like when I am looking at the home folder, some icons show up and others don't, it's kinda ugly. Or in the beginning when I looked at the start menu and no icons showed up unless I hovered over the item, some where I did something that fixed it but I don't know what because while in the settings area I couldn't see if something was checked or not, so I had to click on them blindly. Not sure if this even makes sense...

hard to explain if you aren't seeing it yourself.

If I can I will attach two screen shots, maybe you recognize what I did wrong. Or maybe I 'm going to end up having to reinstall the os anyway. I hope not but I am so glad I have that menu back. If I have asked in the first place I could have saved my self countless hours of hair pulling..

Than you again Giz.

Btw in the first photo you can't see the icons because I wasn't hovering over them at the time... weird thing looks like non of them showed up in the screen shot.. .

boo2014

Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:56:40 pm

Oops sorry Giz, I forgot the screen shot of the menu color problem.

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:11:36 pm

OK, sounds like you changed some theme settings to Ubuntu (brownish/orange) - assuming this is Zorin 8 according to your previous posts:

Menu | System Tools | Preferences | Tweak Tool

Go down to Themes and make sure everything is Zorin Light!

To tweak things further you might want to take a look at installing GNOME color chooser:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6584&p=31820&hilit=scroll+bars#p31566

As well as widening the scroll bars you can customise various bits of colour but be careful what you choose! :D

I also installed 'Gtk Ch Theme' (GTK Change Theme) and got a 'Redmond' style interface on my apps:

03.jpg

boo2014

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:41:22 pm

I have color changer, that might be the problem because changing all the theme stuff to zorin light didn't change the color bacground back to black in the menu.

Ill see if I can find gtk change theme in the software center, though I can't imagine having yet more things to change blindly, if the settings icon don't show checkmarks where I need them to that is probably why I'm messing up stuff.

But what the heck, I'm getting good at messing up.. lol

I want to be sure of what I a doing before I put this on my main pc running xp which is running smoothly.

By the way is linux not supposed to feel as smooth as windows or is my pc too old? Everything feels fast and smooth with windows on my dell demenion 4550 but it doesn't feel that way with zorin.

Can you tweak zorin to run faster like you an with windows xp? If so I won't worry about it. I'm ready to dump windows but don't want to replace it with something not as smooth. I don't have a tone of options because a new pc is not in my near future. I have two decent computers both Dell demension 4550's.

Well good to me because they are still working.. grin.

Ok back to reading your link...

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:49:39 pm

Well it is something I have said in the past, I would like all GNU/Linux distros to be environmentally friendly in that they will run on older kit - that was part of the attraction for me is that GNU/Linux can make aging kit look new!

Take a look here:

http://trisquel.info

http://lxle.net

;)

boo2014

Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:06:16 am

Ok what made my menu background that brownish color was Awn Settings/ themes. Problem is you can't tell which theme you are currently using which makes things harder to troubleshoot. And in my particular situation it doesn't' help when the theme icons don't show up unless you move the scroll bar up and down and hover over where an icon is supposed to be. So anyway if you find every menu you chose has the same background that is what the problem is.. Gee and it only took an entire day to figure it out.. Grin

me bananas.. grin.