This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Zorin login gone after Ubuntu upgrade

kaygee46

Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:09:54 pm

I've just installed Zorin 6.4 and the update manager said there were 332 updates. Although it took several hours the updates all completed and update manager then said there was a Ubuntu upgrade, so I ran that too. It also took several hours but now the Zorin option has gone from the dual boot screen and only Gnome, Ubuntu, and my original Windows XP are there. How can I get Zorin back?

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:44:21 pm

Hi, I think the Ubuntu update has screwed your install - I thought the Update settings were fixed at 6.4 (to be honest I never ran 6.4 - 6.2 was the last version I ran before dropping back to 6.0). I think you will need to backup your data and start over. When you do reinstall, before you do anything else, go to:

Menu | System Tools | Administration | Software Updater

Click on the 'settings' button and make sure that 'Notify me of a new Ubuntu version:' is set to 'Never'

kaygee46

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:01:04 am

[quote="Swarfendor437"]Hi, I think the Ubuntu update has screwed your install. I think you will need to backup your data and start over."

I was hoping you weren't going to say that!

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:41:23 pm

kaygee46 wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I think the Ubuntu update has screwed your install. I think you will need to backup your data and start over."

I was hoping you weren't going to say that!

So was I! ;)

kaygee46

Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:18:24 pm

[quote="Swarfendor437"] I think you will need to backup your data and start over."

If I do a reinstall from my original Zorin image dvd will it just replace and overwrite the existing installation or is it more complex than that?

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:21:02 pm

It will just overwrite it - did you choose the 'something else' method when you installed or did you let it 'autorun'? But before you do a fresh installation, make sure to back up any important data from your /home directory - you could do this with your Live DVD to access you current /home (remembering to use Ctrl+ H to show all hidden files) and either save to memory stick (flash/thumb drive) or external hard drive.

kaygee46

Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:05:01 am

[quote="Swarfendor437"] make sure to back up any important data from your /home directory .[/quote

Since I was still playing around with the initial installation I have no important data to worry about, so I'll just reinstall. Whats the significance of the "something else" or "autorun" question? I don't remember that, but is one option better than the other? If it related to something like doing a custom installation or a default installation I would have chosen default, which I guess is "autorun".

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:39:11 am

The something else is usually better - if you are not running any other OS check out my installation tutorial video here:

(blocked by work)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6643 - then click on Veoh.com link and search for Zorin8 RC installation :D

kaygee46

Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:15:42 pm

[quote="Swarfendor437"]The something else is usually better - if you are not running any other OS check out my installation tutorial video here:

I've kept a dual boot capability with XP so I just did a reinstall, removing Ubuntu 12 point whatever it was and installing Zorin 6.4 over the old one. This had an extra 5 updates (337) but it all went according to plan. The installation process reported the original image package as being 219 days old. A pity they don't keep it a bit more up to date to avoid the lengthy update process.
Thanks for all your help along the way.

Me transmitte sursum Caledoni!