This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Chrome Apps show up in 'Other' folder

jamisonl

Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:50:38 pm

After installing Chrome and having my apps (magically) appear, I noticed that all of my apps showed up under the other category in the Zorin Menu (Screenshot 1 & 2). I then fired up alacarte (the menu editor) and found out that the Chrome apps should indeed show up under a folder named 'Chrome Apps' (Screenshot 3). I changed the desktop to be Gnome 2 (since it uses the old menu) and the Chrome apps show up in their respective folder (Screenshot 4). I would like to know: I this a bug with Zorin Menu. The menu should be performing like the Gnome 2 menu and the configuration is correct (verified by alacarte), and is their a fix to this problem. Perhaps editing a few .desktop files? Thanks in advance for any help!
Screenshot 1:
Screenshot 2:
Screenshot 3:
Screenshot 4:

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:59:49 pm

Hi, I don't think it is a bug as such to do with Zorin, more likely to be an issue with GnoMenu which is a 'dead' project. There is nothing to stop you creating your own 'Google/Chrome' folder when editing the menu in Win7 look and move all the apps from 'other' to the new folder or just 'uncheck' them in the 'other' menu and add the apps in your own created 'Chrome' folder - that is why Alacarte has that functionality - I did this when installing MS Office 2007 Standard on a netbook, unchecking LibreOffice items under Office. :D

jamisonl

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:18:26 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:There is nothing to stop you creating your own 'Google/Chrome' folder when editing the menu in Win7 look and move all the apps from 'other' to the new folder or just 'uncheck' them in the 'other' menu and add the apps in your own created 'Chrome' folder...

I did what you suggested and it seems that the Zorin Menu isn't reflecting the changes to the folders that I make in alacarte but the Gnome 2 menu does. So the problem probably is that GnoMenu doesn't respond to changes in folders/categories of the menu (since Chrome does add that Chrome Apps menu).

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:35:30 pm

Hi, it could be down to the customisation in Zorin - they have taken to renaming it 'Zorin Menu' if you look at 'About'! ;)

technoshaun

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:03:41 am

GnoMenu is an officially dead project at this time. (I was the documentation manager for the project) While Zorin Menu is a work in progress and the bug should be reported to the Zorin Menu team.