This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 8 & VirtualBox ERROR

SplatOz

Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:13:34 pm

I've installed Zorin 8 (both 32 & 64 bit) as guests within VirtualBox on a Win 7 host. I've been looking for an alternative to Ubuntu that's more Windows-like and Zorin seems to fit the bill. However I've run into a couple of persistent problems and I'm wondering if it's something that isolated to my machine or inherent to Zorin 8 in VirtualBox.

In both instances (32/64 bit) the restart at the end of the installation crashed VirtualBox. That said, subsequent boots appeared to work.

After playing around a bit with the OS in VB, I installed the VB Guest Additions 4.2.10 so I could utilize the fit-to-screen option on my 1366X760 laptop monitor. Initially it appeared to work, and the guest will boot but on the 64 bit version as soon as I log in Virtualbox crashes. And on the 32 bit machine it constantly pops up a window saying there was a system error (does not crash though).

Has anyone had similar problems? Alternatively, has anyone successfully installed Z-8 in VirtualBox and if so, what version did you use?

Thanks.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:05:39 am

Hi,

I don't use it but you can look here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox

Regards Wolfman :D

SplatOz

Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:44:08 pm

I looked at that link - nothing there that helps. Given that my Ubuntu Guest works fine and it's just the Zorin Guest that's giving me the error, my guess would be that there's some kind of incompatibility between Zorin 8 and Virtualbox. The crash is occurring somewhere in the Zorin Greeter. Next time it occurs I'll post it just for informational sake but the crash window isn't all that conducive to copy/paste.

I'm going to try the Z6 ISO and see if I get the same weirdness.

Edit: Here's a link with someone with similar problems:
http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index ... opic=68295

Wolfman

Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:54:07 pm

Hi,

let us know how you get on please!.

Regards Wolfman :D

SplatOz

Thu May 08, 2014 1:00:08 am

Anyone seen these errors before?

Had to take several screenshots to get all of the data. They're in reverse order BTW.