This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

2 hardware issues Zorin 8 32-bit new user - Zorin core 8.0

rmbelson

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:12:29 pm

1. I get no mouse or keyboard control on boot so I can't boot into safe mode -- just watch as screen boots into main OS.
2. Sound manager sees my Audigy 2 Value soundcard -- analog, analog (no amplifier) and digital. No matter what I click, no sound output. I have tried to understand how to address this from Ubuntu forums, but I am completely new to Ubuntu/Linux, migrating from Windows environment. All the docs I see are too confusing for me to follow, sorry. They expect I am highly experienced with Ubuntu, not the case, alas.

To moderators -- If I purchase Premium version, are these problems you can help me with, or am I facing a hardware issue, esp, with soundcard, that will never get fixed, so investing in Premium will not help?

If I install 8.1, will this help?

I have several PCs with Win XP I need to handle, and would be happy to use Zorin on all, if I could get this kind of thing figured out. Love how well the OS works otherwise, but playing music is important to me. BTW - your new Music app sees my files on my home network which is a big improvement over previous releases where I couldn't bring those files into my library, so many thanks to the team. If I could solve these 2 problems, I'd become a convert for sure.

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:25:50 pm

Hi, I can see by your post count that you have posted here before but could you please remind us of your machine (spec, model, brand, etc)?

As to purchasing, the Zorin brothers state quite clearly that you should try the core version first. If you are having issues with your keyboard and mouse I wonder whether you should be pursuing Zorin - We cannot assist if you pay for a premium disc - you do get support by the Zorin helpdesk but not Mods - Mods only come onto the forum as they are unpaid volunteers who want other users to enjoy GNU/Linux! :D If you did buy the premium disc there is still no guarantee that it would work - Zorin make it clear on the web pages that you should download the free version (Core) first to see if it is compatible before making a purchase.

rmbelson

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:35:54 pm

Yes, I've been struggling to get the system to work -- I posted some in past about how to get various music apps to see my networked library, and that has been solved in newest release. The issue for me is that I see there are solutions to the Audigy 2 bug (is known in Ubuntu, I guess) but they are over my head. So I'm trying to figure out best way to solution. FYI -- I sent this query initially to customer support and they said to post it here, so I mistakenly thought the moderators were Zorin folks looking in.

Motherboard: Abit AN-M2HD.
CPU: AMD X2 BE-2400 2.3GHZ.
Memory: 2x1GB (2GB total) Ballistix DDR2 800. - BL 12864aa804
Power Supply: Antec true power 480Watts.
Onboard graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 7050PV
Sound Card: SB Audigy 2

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:41:27 pm

OK so it is a tower - out of curiosity, is the keyboard and mouse wireless? I experienced this issue with a great little distro that no longer is - DreamLinux. I had to use wired keyboard and mouse to do the install after which the wiereless gizmos worked! :D

rmbelson

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:46:52 pm

No, USB. To be clear, the mouse and keyboard work fine once OS is booted up. But I can't do anything with them on the boot screen itself, so I have no way of booting into other modes than plain Zorin desktop.

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:52:29 pm

Interesting, I am afraid I cannot replicate that problem - I only have ps2/Wireless keyboards! :(

rmbelson

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:12:14 pm

I wish it weren't so interesting, sigh. I'll see what happens if I use a different keyboard and mouse.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:54:29 am

Hi,

are your keyborard/mouse running through a USB hub?, if they are, you need to plug them directly into the PC and then they will work so you can setup the OS!.

Regards Wolfman :D

rmbelson

Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:38:17 pm

No, they're going into the back of the PC. Haven't had a chance to swap out a keyboard mouse yet. Have a wireless set I can use to see if that duplicates or removes the issue. Thanks.

rmbelson

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:35:18 pm

Solved sound issue -- installed Alsa mixer and clicking my soundcard on that app worked vs. the sound app native to Zorin. Having other hardware/software issues though.

1. After long system sleep, screen locked and mouse/keyboard movement didn't bring screen back -- had to unplug box from power and reboot. Not sure why. I changed settings for screen lock and will see if that improves things. Might be connected to mouse problems described before.
2. After reboot, no apps show on task bar and I can't add them by dragging. They pop off. System seems sluggish.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:13:41 pm

Hi,

when you simply kill the power on your PC, you kill the hard drive a little each time, if you don't follow the normal shutdown process, if it won't shut down, press the power switch on your PC and hold it in until your PC switches off, this is known as "Soft Power Down (Off)". If you have simply cut the power several times, your hard drive is most likely in need of repair and/or beyond repair!.

Start your PC and enter recovery mode, select "FSCK" and let it do its thing, restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del, do not click on resume!.

Start your PC and enter recovery mode, select network (network cable required) and then run "DPKG" and restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del, do not click on resume!.

Let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman :D