This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

World of Warcraft on Zorin OS 8 / drivers?

Limper

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:34:06 pm

Alrighty, i'm at abit of a loss here after hopping back onto the Linus train since I last used it in 2003ish. I've gotten World of Warcraft to install yet can't seem to run the game itself. Either launching it through the launcher or going into the directory and running the WoW.exe it always seems to let me log on then goto character select. If i'm lucky it will let me select my toon and then it hangs up and crashes at the loading screen.

The Laptop shipped with Windows 8 and I couldn't stand it so I put Zorin OS 8 onto it and tried to read up on some guides to use WoW. The game worked perfectly on windows 8 itself and i'm sure i'm just missing out on how to install updated drivers or something but can't figure it out.

Here's some details of my system:
Gateway NV52L23u
AMD Quad-Core Processor A8-4500M
AMD Radeon HD 7640G with 512 MB GSM
6GB DDR3 RAM

When I goto ALL SETTINGS/DETAILS:
Graphics: VESA: DVST
Drivers: VESA: DVST

When I goto SODTWARE & UPDATES / ADDITIONAL DRIVERS:
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]: Trinity [Radeon HD 7640G]
This device is using the recommended driver.
[ THIS IS CHECKE] - Using X.Ord X server - AMD/ATI display driver wrapper from xserver-xorg-video-ati (open source, tested)
- Using Video driver for the AMD graphics accelerators from fglrx (proprietary)
- Using Video driver for the AMD graphics accelerators from fglrx-updates (proprietary)

I've gone into the WTF directory and changed config.wtf to show SET gxApi "opengl"

Typing this into terminal:
glxinfo | grep rendering

returns this:
direct rendering: Yes

Like I said i'm sure it's something like my graphics drivers or something but as far as I know how they're already updated. If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:32:41 am

Hi, It may well depend on which version of WoW you are using.

Go to codeweavers.com and search for WoW and what version runs on WINE - they are the people behind the WINE project.

If not installed, be sure you have:

PlayOnLinux
WINE
Winetricks

:D

Wolfman

Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:50:49 am

Hi,

open Synaptic > Settings > Repositories > Additional drivers and see if you have the AMD/ATI drivers installed.

Regards Wolfman :D

Limper

Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:48:23 pm

Thanks for the replys, I found out that WoWs 64bit client is bugged so Linux users must run the 32bit client now.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:21:37 pm

Hi there, is your situation 'resolved' now you have found out that 32-bit is the way forward? :D