This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] FIREWALL YES or NO ?

oxo42

Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:00:24 pm

I am a new user to linux and I have a couple of problems.

1.) I have looked at some posts on the forum but they are not conclusive. Is the FIREWALL ON or OFF by default ? The GUI window allways shows as off even after its been turned on.

2. ) I have typed this command at the TERMINAL "sudo ufw status" hopeing to see the running status of the FIREWALL. I then get this return " [ sudo ] password for user: " user being the person logged on,at this point I am unable to input anything that makes any difference it appears to be locked up and after several attempts it says that I am not root user. I have used "cd / " command to get to root which I thought was correct, but it does not work it says "not a command " or something similar.
I am logged in as administrater and I have no previous experience of using the TERMINAL , any input commands I use have been noted down from reading posts and various articles etc,

I am running O.S. 6.4 LTS

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:53:35 pm

Hi oxo42 and welcome to Zorin! I never got as far as 6.4 so I cannot really say - I do know it is on by default in 8 - hope someone running 6.x can assist? ;)

oxo42

Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:27:24 am

Hi Swarfendor437
You say it is on by default in O.S.8 is this confirmed in the GUI window with a positive "ON".

As regards to the TERMINAL problem ! there was no problem it was due to my lack of knowledge and experience and all appears to be working correctly at the moment.

Thanks

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:55:44 am

Everythng is greyed out and states 'on' when I tried to run the terminal command - will post screenshot tonight. :D

Wolfman

Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:19:40 am

oxo42

Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:28:27 pm

Hi Wolfman
Thank you for the links / looks rather complicated and drawn out , I dont really understand most of what was said so I opted to just enable UFW from TERMINAL this at least I do understand.
I have learned one thing / the firewall in O.S. 6.4 LTS is OFF by default and when enabled will still show as off in the GUI window / a bit confusing / I hope this may be of use to new users like me.
My original query as been answered so this post can be marked as solved.
Thanks

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:39:49 am

Hi glad you got sorted - sorry I did not get round to posting that screenshot - been a bit busy - hence my absence at the weekend! :D