This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Password Strength Requirement

vbmds

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:09:50 am

I intend to move my kids PCs from XP to Zorin 8 but I am having some issues that are quickly killing Zorin as a viable option...

Firstly I hit the Administrator Authentication Failed issue...which I seem to have solved with a reinstall and leaving all settings during install at their defaults ie no changing the language from English (US) for example.

Secondly, and this is the current show stopper...the Password Strength Requirement...my kids are 7 and 8 years old and having them remember a password without writing it down takes some doing...Zorin in its wisdom has decided to reject the kids password has not strong enough...thus is there a way to tone down the password strength requirement or turn it off altogether...

If this issue can't be resolved; I'll have to dump Zorin...

Wolfman

Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:18:34 am

Hi,

you need to set the password length manually, open a terminal and type the following command:

Code:
gksudo nautilus

enter your password and your home folder (as root!) will open and then navigate to: Computer > etc > pam.d > common password and set the length of the passwords by adjusting this to 3 or 4:

password [success=1 default=ignore] pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=4 max=8 sha512

See also:

http://linuxpoison.blogspot.de/2010/10/ ... buntu.html

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

vbmds

Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:50:20 am

Thanks for the reply Wolfman.

I also managed to come up with a solution in the mean time...by using passwd in terminal; I have been able to set the desired password.