This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Kino Freezes During DV Capture

Robert Simandl

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:14:52 am

Hi,

Been using Zorin Core 64-bit 8.1 for about two weeks now. Overall, excellent. Have not gone back to Windows on this PC even once during this time.

However, running into my first big problem using kino to import DV video from my Canopus DV-100 and VCR. I run it as Administrator to avoid a bug detecting my firewire port. Problem is, about 15 seconds into starting a capture, Kino freezes, stops responding to the mouse, and goes grey. I have to force quit and the type 1 avi it created during that time is not readable by any program, even VLC.

As a Linux newbie, I'm not even sure what data to post. Open to suggestions?

Thanks!

Wolfman

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:57:47 am

Hi,

have you fully updated your system?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Do you have an Nvidia graphics card and have you installed the drivers?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Restart after updating and let us know if it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

Robert Simandl

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:26:54 pm

System was fully updated.

Did the procedure for updating nVidia drivers "sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings" then rebooted in recovery mode and ran dkpg. Restarted the PC (forgot to restart with the 3-finger salute, but did a complete restart after that).

Not only did this not help, but now when I'm in Thunderbird mail, then switch over to Google Chrome to do something, the Thunderbird window goes completely black. It's apparently still running because when I mouse over and click Thunderbird again, Thunderbird comes back (if I happened to click an unseen command, like changing the active folder, while the screen was black, it executes that command).

Meanwhile, after exactly 15 seconds of capturing DV, Kino still freezes, then goes grey, not responding to anything until I click the X in the title bar and force quit.

Suggestions, anyone? Thanks!

Wolfman

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:16:58 pm

Hi,

check out this thread to stop whiteout:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

What are your system specs?.

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:20:39 pm

HI, I have had the same issue with nVidia drivers and in the end I have gone back to using the nouveau drivers - get the occasional 'blanking' when changing between open apps but less problematical with the GNU/Linux drivers. :D

Wolfman

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:16:18 am

Hi,

force an update in case you have something missing with the following terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Did you check out the Nvidia link I posted earlier?.