This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] How can install YaST Opensuse on Zorin ?

dr_web2

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:05:43 pm

Hello

How can install YaST on Zorin Os ?

Thanks

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:14:22 pm

Hi and Welcome to Zorin! :D I'm afraid 'Yet another Setup Tool' will not work on Zorin - it was designed for use with .rpm's not .deb packages! ;)

dr_web2

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:36:54 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi and Welcome to Zorin! :D I'm afraid 'Yet another Setup Tool' will not work on Zorin - it was designed for use with .rpm's not .deb packages! ;)

Why can not use program alien to convert .rpm packages to .deb?

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:48:10 pm

You can indeed do that but YaST was specifically set up to install .rpm's for distros that run Red Hat Package Manager files! Alien converts .rpm to .deb - then you use Gdebi Package Installer. Conversely, if you were running an OS that relied on rpm's and you wanted .deb packages converting, you would install 'worm'. :D

dr_web2

Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:07:15 pm

Thank you

But I need to such as Control Panel Windows, and I want the same features, Is there a control panel such as YaST compatible perfect with Zorin os?

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:10:54 pm

Hi, the nearest you can get to control panel is 'System Settings' - Menu | System Tools | System Settings. For installation of programs there are 3 choices:

1. Ubuntu Software Center from the main Menu

2. Synaptic Package Manager (Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager) - you can do a heuristic search if you are not sure of the application you want or just type a genre, e.g., Office to see all the applications available for that type of Software.

3. Via Command line in a Terminal (Menu | Accessories | Termnal or Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install (name of package0
- if you don't name the package correctly, you will be prompted with - "Could not find a package of that name, did you mean ...?" and it offers what you might have intended to request.

Hope this helps! :D

Wolfman

Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:16:36 am

dr_web2

Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:47:40 pm

Thank you very much Swarfendor437 , Thank you very much Wolfman

Wolfman

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:30:31 am

Hi,

have marked as solved, I hope that that is okay.

Regards Wolfman :D