This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] LaserJet 5MP printing blank pages

Zanderxo

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:38:05 pm

A Linux newbie here.
Just installed Zorin OS 8 Core on a DELL OptiPlex GX520, and love the new OS (replaces Windows XP).
My only problem: my printer is now a paper weight.

It is a LaserJet 5MP, connected via parallel port. When I tell Zorin to ADD a printer, it finds the printer and installs a driver.
However whenever I try to print anything from any application, all I get is blank pages.
On the printer itself I can press a button to print a test page, and it prints normally.
When I open System Settings and click on Printers, I can see my printer. The dialog box says "Hewlett-Packard-HP-LaserJet-5MP" and "Connected to localhost."
When I open this printer's Properties dialog, I can click a "Print a Self-Test Page" button, which produces a white page with a black printed boarder and some text upper left that says:

HP LaserJet 5P
2014.103 41

However when I click the "Print Test Page" button (for a CUPS test page) from the same Properties dialog, I get a blank white sheet with nothing on it.
Any ideas you have for how I might rectify this situation would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. Zander

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:13:04 pm

Hi and welcome to Zorin! :D

Try this method:

1. Remove the printer you have installed.

2. Be sure to read Wolfman's excellent tutorial on adding all the HP stuff in his 'Post-install' tutorial here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2054

3. After you have followed Wolfman's guide, open a terminal (Accessories | Terminal or Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
system-config-printer
Then just follow the steps to install the correct driver for your printer! :D

Keep us posted!

Wolfman

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:11:01 am

Hi,

Swarf has already pointed you to the post install guide, you must make sure that you install the package "hplip-gui" (HPLip-Toolbox) which is HP's own software for Linux, your printer should run fine after that!.

Code:
sudo apt-get install hplip-gui

Follow the steps laid out in the guide for HP printers!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Zanderxo

Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:22:29 pm

I did install hplip-gui, and used it to install the printer (after removing the prior install). Same problem. However by chance I discovered that if I install the printer as an HP LaserJet 1100, it works fine. Weird, but I'm not going to argue with success.

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:45:54 am

Have marked as [RESOLVED] as technically not the correct driver - I suspect, like other manufacturers, there will be some emulation of earlier laser models - the 1100 replaced the 5 and 6 models - I remember installing both as an installer! :D