This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] How to share a drive and gain access to it?

beun

Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:08:39 am

Hi all,

Well, I hope my question is clear....

Greetz,

Beun

Anonymous

Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:18:52 am

The question is clear, how to share a drive. The answers can be little more complicated. The sharing of a drive always means that you make a partition of the memory for different use, that you have dedicated the same memory device. That device can be the internal or external HDD, SDD, or USB Flash Drive connected to computers data bus or to USB port and so on.

The purpose to make a partition is that there is either a need to install more than one operating system to a memory device, like internal HDD. Or there is a need to make a partition to install an operating system and a data storage memory (like a home directory) to one Drive, so that it could be accessed as an independent data directory. Also from different operating systems. Or you may want to make any combination of these installations.

If the need is to install two or more operating systems to internal HDD, there is two alternative methods to make the needed partitions. The installation program asks if it is ok. that it makes the partitioning and installs the os. to that partition or does the user want to use something else partitioning method to make the partitions for installation. There is a complete tutorial for using that method.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

To access these partitions there are different needs. To run different operating systems, there must be a bootloader program installed into that device having more than one os., to make the selection which operating system want to be started after booting up from BIOS, In BIOS you have to make the selection which "physhical" device (CD/DVD, HDD, USB ... ) is the one to boot from the computer. To get other kind of access to some os. partition you have to use some other operating system to look the content of that. If it is only a data storage partition you can access it from the os. running from the same drive or an other drive. You can not access that os. partition that your currently running os. is installed.

It is also essential that the created partition is formatted so that the operating system can use it for certain purpose. Partitioning and formatting of the needed memory space can be done using a GParted tool in Linux. Often installation programs can also make the needed formatting of the partition if there will be installed an operating system.

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:29:57 pm

OK, to share your Zorin drive you will need to have Samba installed if you are thinking of accessing via Windows. You should make sure that your computer is in the same workgroup as the rest of your computers:

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-change-wo ... rk-windows

http://tutorialforlinux.com/2013/10/26/ ... ent-setup/

Hope the above links answer your question! :D

Oh, and welcome to Zorin! :D

beun

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:39:45 am

I only wanna share my external HD that is connected on another computer. And don't really why I should share that thing but how... That's the question...

beun

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:36:50 am

I solved it myself already. Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:49:59 pm

And could you share it for the benefit of other forum visitors? Thanks! :D