This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] NO SOUND ON STARTUP

oxo42

Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:38:55 pm

HI
I have no sound on startup or shutdown / where do I look for settings / cant find anything.
Using O.S. 6.4 LTS as sole operating system.

Anonymous

Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:54:34 pm

You may try to go to sound setting in the AWN panels indicator section and select "mute" then click it twice so you may get back the sound. Sometimes the start up does not remember the previous setting.

Wolfman

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:21:49 am

Hi,

startup sound can be set manually:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-enable ... ecise.html

You can try Ubuntu Tweak too:

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

Open Control Center > Personal > Ubuntu Tweak > Tweaks > Sound but it might not work!.
Ubuntu Tweak_002.jpg

Regards Wolfman :D

oxo42

Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:23:51 am

Hi Wolfman
I looked at the links you pointed me to but as you suspected it did no work,/ no worry at least I now know where to look at a later date if I decide that sound at startup is a must have. What I have learnt is that the sound is OFF by DEFAULT / I thought there was a problem with the O.S. but since there is no problem I am not concerned.

Thanks

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:05:32 pm

If you are running 6, right-click the Z button and select 'Preferences' - below the Menu choices and Computer Icon types should be 'Default sound' - turn it to 'On' :D

oxo42

Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:32:07 am

Screenshot from 2014-04-08 10_20_52.png

Hi Swarfendor437
ZORIN MENU SETTINGS
If I change > none to default > click install > click ok under "sound theme" it then asks where to install new theme from, I have not got a clue where to look / what it does say is "Default by : CANONICAL GPL"
It is a bit dissapointing because I was to understand that that O.S. was fully functional and ready to go out of the box / I may continue without Startup sound if it it to difficult to rectify.
Thanks

Wolfman

Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:24:30 am

Hi,

do the following:

1: start "Startup Applications" > "Add" and give it the name "GNOME Login sound".

2: Copy and paste the following command into the line that states "Command":

Code:
/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login sound"

then click on "Save", it should work assuming you have it switched on in Ubuntu Tweak as posted before as I have just done it and it is working for me!.

See this link again if you are puzzled at all:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-enable ... ecise.html

oxo42

Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:27:44 pm

Hi Wolfman
Have followed your instuctions but alas no change / in command line I have changed "usr" to my name is that correct ?
The only change that has occured is that the ZORIN start button now makes a noise when pressed which it did not before.
"GNOME Login sound" is showing in Startup Applications / hope this info is of use.

THANKS

Wolfman

Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:52:51 pm

Hi,

NO!, that is not corect, you must leave the command as is!.

oxo42

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:34:31 am

Hi Wolfman
OOOPS! Sorry about that /all new to me / I thought "usr" refered to user or person logged in. Anyway
I have done all that has been suggested including the links you posted / which showed a different approach. I have tried several times without any luck at the moment.
If I click save or install it will go and open the HOME folder looking for I assume the file or app which the Command line refers to / I think we are looking for something that isn`t installed with the O.S. which is the "GNOME Login Sound" what do you think ?

Thanks

Wolfman

Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:51:06 pm

Hi,

try installing the package "gnome-audio", open a terminal and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-audio

Then try doing it again!.

I actually always install the complete Gnome package, (and Gnome Audio which isn't installed in Gnome by default for some strange reason!) I know it installs a lot of packages I don't need but find it adds stability to the system!.

oxo42

Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:19:17 pm

Hi Wolfman
I gave it a try here is the result / what to do next ?

Wolfman

Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:00:56 pm

Hi,

check your software sources settings per the guide, you don't have all the boxes ticked I should think!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Let us know if it helps. :D

oxo42

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:40:11 am

Hi Wolfman
Have been looking for the "Software Sources Settings" on my system and I cant find it anywhere, can you point me in the right direction. I have looked at the links you posted / not sure if I am supposed to download something from there.

Thanks

Wolfman

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:20:09 am

Hi,

open Synaptic > Settings > Repositories > Zorin Software/Other Software and make sure you have a tick in all the boxes but "CDROM"!:

Software & Updates_009.jpg

Look at the update guide too!. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

oxo42

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:26:55 pm

Hi Wolfman
have made sure all boxes as per your guide have been ticked / I have also updated Package List and Packages including any dependencies (125 in total ) / no change / not sure what is next I am a bit lost at the moment.

Thanks

Wolfman

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:43:11 pm

Hi,

if you have done all the updates, start "Startup Applications" and paste this command in the "Command" section of the "Add" window as explained before, it should work!:

Code:
/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login sound"

DO NOT EDIT THE ABOVE COMMAND!.

Basically a repeat of what is posted below in an earlier post on this thread. (search a couple of posts back!):

1: start "Startup Applications" > "Add" and give it the name "GNOME Login sound".

2: Copy and paste the following command into the line that states "Command":

Don't forget to use Ubuntu Tweak too!.

oxo42

Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:30:32 pm

Hi Wolfman
At last we have Login Sound / unfortunately it`s really poor and there is not any options for choice / is there any additional sounds that can be installed ?
All the effort put in and the journey taken was very worthwhile to me for the experience alone / so I thank you for that. It took a lot of effort to configure something that could have been enabled with a simple ON or OFF option had it been provided within the O S. / so maybe this is something the developers can look at for the future.

While I have your attention can I ask you about "UBUNTU TWEAK"
What is safe to tick in the tick boxes in "JANITOR" if you want to clean up the system.

Many Thanks

Wolfman

Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:49:05 pm

Hi oxo42,

I only use it for old kernels but leave at least 2 kernels as a reserve in case something goes wrong with a newer kernel, then you can still boot into an older kernel (or 2) if necessary at boot time.

Ubuntu Tweak_012.jpg

Don't delete them all!.

For sound, use Pulse Audio Manager (paman) and see if you get your sound working better:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023