This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Can't find installed software

Mainframer

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:57:09 am

Recently I installed Zorin 8.1 with USB Live Drive. Brand new to Linux/Zorin so just playing with the features. I think I have successfully downloaded and installed two software packages via the Software Center - Midnight Commander and SpeedCrunch. The Software Center says that they are installed, however, I cannot find them anywhere. I checked throughout the Zorin menu, especially the Accessories Submenu. I think this is where they are supposed to show up but they are not there. What am I missing?

Jerry :?

Wolfman

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:11:40 am

Hi Jerry,

did you try the search function in the main menu and did you restart your PC after installing the apps as some won't so up until you restart!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:50:06 am

Hi, I suspect that Midnight Commander will be under 'System Tools' as it is a file manager. Not sure what speed crunch is - has a new 'submenu' appeared, called 'Other'?

(I do hope when Zorin 9 is released, full menu editing will be restored like it is in 6! ;) )

Mainframer

Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:07:50 pm

Thanks for replies. I tried your suggestions. Results were as follows:
1) I did not see an obvious search function on the Main Menu. Is this the menu that you get by clicking on the "Z" letter in the lower left corner of the main window?
2) I did a restart. Afterwards everything I did before was gone. Everything. I changed the "Z" letter in the lower left corner to black. It is now back to the original white. My installed apps, Midnight Commander and SpeedCrunch, are gone. I checked the Software Center and when selected they say "Install" in the lower right of the select box. Before the restart, the selection of either of these apps said "Remove" in the lower right of the select box. My Wi-Fi connection is gone. Does this imply there was no persistent install of the USB live drive? If so how does one force persistent settings and data storage on the USB flash drive and/or on the netbook's HDD?
3) I looked in all the submenus in the Zorin Menu, including "System Tools". Nothing there. Both Midnight Commander and SpeedCrunch were obtained from Zorin Menu/Software Center/Accessories. Shouldn't they both show up in Zorin Menu/Accessories?
4) I didn't notice an "Other" submenu before I did a restart.

A quick second question. Is there a way I can go directly to my topic threads when I log on instead of searching for last post dates, etc?

Wolfman

Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:43:57 pm

Hi,

in a live CD/pendrive, it won't save any setting or installed software, I thought you had installed it permanently to the drive!.

You must install as a persistent install to the pendrive or hard disk:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:40:17 pm

Hi, to find your posts quicker, change your Board Preferences in your User Control Panel, top right of the browser forum page and check mark 'Yes' that you want notifying of replies to your posts:

Screenshot Board Prefs.jpg

PS, "I do have Friends - but you're not having mine - it's in the agreement! Bazinga!" :lol:

Anonymous

Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:38:53 am

I see from your reply that all did not work as expected in your USBlive installation. For some reason you did dot have the persistent mode installed( or not working). If you use the Universal USB Installer program to make that, so there are some things that have to be checked that it really does the persistent installation to your USB.

First you have to make the selection by opening the selection window that you use the Zorin os. to be installed (even if you already have the downloaded .iso file). This enables that persistent installation is possible. Then you select the source .iso file that you want to use to make the installation. Next you select the USB device where to install (selecting the right letter) and select that you will make the fat32 formatting that erases all data from the USB. Last selection there is the slider to select how big persistence file you will have to be installed to your USB. Max 4 Gb. If you want to have 4 Gb file installed so use at least 8 Gb drive for installation.

When all selections are made you can start the program to install the files and to make the persistent file to your USB. First it will install all files from the .iso file. The progress of installation you can see from the window. This will take some 15 min. Then it will start to make the persistense file to your drive. It is even longer process taking additional 25 to 30 min, to be completed. The program do not seem to do anything. The window does not show the progress, however it does what it should do and finally it says that the process is complete. Don't stop the process before it is completed, just wait patiently! Then you have a bootable persistent drive to make a restart and go to Zorin live session, that will keep all changes over shut down.

If you follow carefully this process taking ca. one hour without any complications you will for sure have a working persistent USBlive drive. :D

It may be interesting for you also to look this topic to make a HOMElive directory to the same USB device. Then the minimun suggested USB size is 16 Gb. The HOMElive partition is accessable also from Windows.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6785

PS. You can even open the USB drive's content on Windows to see that there is a casper-rw file installed according your selected size that takes care to keep the chances.

Zorin 8/8.1 Core and Ultimate 32 Bit, Ubunbtu 13.10 32 Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit, Asus AMD Athlon 64 Bit X2 Dual core 4000+, HP 530 Intel Celeron M 32 Bit

Mainframer

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:43:59 am

Making Progress. I re-installed Zorin on my USB Flash Drive. This time I did not ignore the partition slider in UUI :oops: and set it to max, 4GB. I booted up Zorin USB Live Drive on my netbook ok and made a few changes to look and feel, icons on desktop, etc. I shutdown the netbook, rebooted Windows, shut it down and rebooted Zorin. Every thing I did before was still there including an automatic Wi-Fi connection. Through the Software Center I downloaded and installed Midnight Commander and SpeedCrunch This time they showed up and worked from Systems Tools and Accessories respectively. The only difference between the first bootable USB Flash Drive and the second was adding space for the partition.

Boot up does seem to be slow at almost two minutes. Dowloading and installing the two was also slow for Midnight (2 min). SpeedCrunch only took 35 sec. Not sure what the difference was. I haven't checked the size diff between the two.

Now on to the next challenge. :)

Jerry

Anonymous

Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:30:07 am

Nice to hear that all works. Boot times are longer from a persistent USB drive due to slower read speed from USB than from a HDD. Also there is additional data in the persistent file to be loaded from USB. So there should be used a drive having high speed reading performance . There are performance differencies in the types of USBs. The reading speeds can vary from 20 to 30 Mb/s in USB 2.0 specified drives. In the newer computers there is USB 3.0 ports that offers twice that speed compared to USB 2.0. A USB 2.0/3.0 Drive can be used to install the os. so it boots up in a shorter time if USB 3.0 port is available, but can be used also in USB 2.0 interface.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:15:45 am

Hi,

glad to hear, I will mark this as solved!.