This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Cant get sound

tarzanofnazareth

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:14:14 pm

Hello all - i'm new to town.

Installed Zorin 6 yesterday. It was a long and rocky road, but i got there. Eventually. HOwever, i cannot hear any sound. Nothing. The sound card i think is detected. I have done the aplay -l thing Here are the results:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
adam@adam-P5K-VM:~$

anybody had and solved this before? Your help is appreciated

thanks

Wolfman

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:41:04 am

Hi,

please see here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

Have you checked that sound is not muted or the correct soundcard is being addressed?: System Settings > Hardware > Sound
Sound_003.jpeg
Sound_003.jpeg (19.88 KiB)

Have you fully updated your system?:

Open a terminal and paste the following command and then restart:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

tarzanofnazareth

Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:31:29 am

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried all combinations within the hardware, turning 1 off and trying every possible option and then and then the other. Still nothing.

I went into Zorin menu / all apps / Sound and video / pulse Audio vol control

i played a youtube vid and also a sound file from on board my comp and in OUtput devices there is acknowledgement that sound is playing - but getting it to come out of my speakers is really proving impossible.

My soundcard is E-MU 0404.

I am actually now thinking that it may be incompatible with linux - from the website 'The 0404 PCIe also ships with ASIO2 and WDM drivers for Windows XP, XP x64, Windows Vista and Vista x64'

DO you think that there may be drivers now for Linux and if not, can anybody suggest good soundcard for Linux?

Thanks

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:46:58 am

C-MEDIA have been reliable in the past - basically any AC'97 chipset sound card or Realtek 'should' work.

Check this out:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5440

Wolfman

Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:38:10 pm

Hi,

you said it appears to be working, do you have it (your speakers!) in the correct socket, on a normal PC, it should be in the lime green one!:

http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/s ... r-code.php

tarzanofnazareth

Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:18:44 pm

RE the speaker set up - ts a bit more complicated than that - i have a couple of ports with inputs and outputs (SPDif/1/4 in jacks and stereo inputs). I have Fostex speakers connected by 1/4 jacks. I havent touched the speaker set up since the change of OS.

I have been reading round and have just worked out how to get the following info from Terminal:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8277
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 45
Memory at fcff8000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

--
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
Subsystem: Device 196e:080b
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
Memory at fe9fc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

--
05:01.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB0400 Audigy2 Value
Subsystem: Creative Labs Device 4002
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 17
I/O ports at ec00 [size=64]
Kernel modules: snd-emu10k1

05:02.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306/7/8 [Fire II(M)] IEEE 1394 OHCI Controller (rev c0) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])

So maybe this means something to somebody?

Wolfman

Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:28:12 pm

Hi,

seems that all your hardware is there and working, I think it is a simple case of playing around a bit more to find out which of the outputs you are using.

The best to use is the PULSE Audio manager/Pulse Device Chooser as I think it is slighty better than the normal sound settings!.

If you see the sliders moving about, disble a piece of hardware one at a time and see which one it is you are using, move the plugs on your speakers/headphones from socket to socket as you do it!.

You could also try installing alsamixer and libsox-fmt-all as other options!:

Code:
sudo apt-get install alsamixer libsox-fmt-all

Let us know how you get on!.

tarzanofnazareth

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:46:33 pm

bit of an update - i am getting sound through headphones - using the the little green inputs on the back of the tower unit.

i also input-ed sudo alsamixer into the terminal and the alsa mixer says it is using the HDA Intel card, which i think is probably not the correct card to work with my speaker set up - i would have thought it should be Nvidia 0404... perhaps there is a way to change the card in the alsamixer?

I pressed F6 where it indeed shows the 2 cards. But i dont seem to be able to change from tHDA to the Intel.

Further, this is on the ubuntu wiki http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/emu0404 - and is the E-MU/Nvidia card i have in my PC - I have speakers connected via jacks... It says that all ubuntu after 9.1 should recognise.

Wolfman

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:49:45 pm

Hi,

install the package "paman" which is the frontend for Pulse:

Code:
sudo apt-get install paman

You'll find it under sound & video as PulseAudio Volume Control!. :D

tarzanofnazareth

Sat May 24, 2014 6:47:17 pm

1 month on from last post - I'm hoping the solution is very close. The computer is reading the onboard intel as the main Sound card - in the terminal has 0 next to it. The Nvidia has 1 next to it - how do i change it so the Nvidia is the default?

Wolfman

Sun May 25, 2014 7:18:52 am

Hi,

use the Pulse Audio Manager (Paman) as I suggested earlier, you just need to select the device you want and set it as default!:

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/precise/paman/

FAQ's:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar ... Audio/FAQ/

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio

Swarfendor437

Mon May 26, 2014 12:19:05 am

Hi, try following the advice here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

replacing 'radeon' with 'nvidia' :D