This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] List of Installed programs

Acer DeVille

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:44:20 am

I hate to ask this as it should be such a common sense question however I have no idea, what I'm doing. In checking the software center, and synaptic, I noticed a couple of programs that show installed, but can not be found in the Zorin Menu at all. One of them is Neopmuk Backup, I don't remember the other one right now, but it shows installed in both places, but I can't find it anywhere. Now I did search for this before posting, well I looked through about 10 pages of this forum, because once again the search function insisted on removing every single word I tried to search for. This thing hates me, every time I try to search, it says that every single word is "too common and has been removed". That's the only reason I asked instead of just searching, I know it's been asked before, I remember seeing it.

Wolfman

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:25:44 am

Hi,

open Zorin Menu > System Tools > Preferences > Main Menu and check all the sections and see if you can add your newly installed apps to the menu, just find it and put a tick in the box and it will show up in the menu!.
Main Menu_004.jpg

Regards Wolfman :D

Acer DeVille

Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:55:32 pm

Would you believe that "Main Menu" is not listed under >Preferences? I do know what your talking about though, I remember using it under Zorin 6. But, it's ok, I'm getting a new computer later tonight, so I'll be reinstalling on it. It's a hand-me-down, but it's newer and more powerful than what I've got now, so I'm happy.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:35:01 am

Hi,

open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and type:

Code:
alacarte

and the menu editor will open!.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:39:21 am

Or simpler still, right-click the Z button and select 'Edit' - not present in 8 - hope it comes back for 9! :D

Acer DeVille

Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:08:35 pm

Wolfman wrote:open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and type:

Code:
alacarte

and the menu editor will open

Thanks I tried opening it by typing it in the search bar in the menu, it opened "Main Menu", which is not doing anything. I made all kinds of changes in the Main Menu program, but upon closing it there is no change to the menu itself.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:52:55 pm

Hi,

the command should be typed in a terminal!.

Acer DeVille

Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:21:18 pm

Sorry for the late reply, as this has fell on the back burner to some more important things. I have alacarte installed, I open the "Main Menu" program, and make my selections, unmarking some, marking others, and then reordering the whole menu to suit my taste. Close the program, restart the pc, open the menu, and nothing, it's exactly like it was to start with, not a single thing is changed. I've tried this six or seven times or more, never with any luck. Any ideas?

Wolfman

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:14:23 am

Hi AD,

it has a bug (suprise; suprise!):

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1244087

You can try "Menulibre":

https://launchpad.net/menulibre

You can get it here, this is for Ubuntu 14.04 but should work, click on the download link and install with Gdebi:

http://pkgs.org/ubuntu-14.04/ubuntu-uni ... l.deb.html

I only just found this so that is why it is late in coming!. :D

Acer DeVille

Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:16:12 am

Thanks for the reply, at least now I know it wasn't my stupidity lol.

Can mark as solved. (I'm trying to remember to make sure to do this, but my memory isn't so great)