This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Importing files?

Pk99

Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:52:16 pm

I have just installed zorin o/s 7 because that was the one the website automatically gave me.
It is working (hurrah), but it said it would import all my files etc from my Windows installation, but it didn't.
Could someone tell me how to do this thanks.

Wolfman

Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:03:05 pm

Hi and welcome,

open your home folder and go to "Compaq" (or whatever name your computer has, EG: Acer or Asus, mine is a HP Compaq) in the left hand window tree, navigate to the folders you want from windoze which you will normally find under "Users" and simply copy and paste what you need into the revelant folders in your home!. Create new folders if you have to with a right mouse click > "New folder" if you must.
COMPAQ_008.jpg

I hope that makes sense!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:37:38 am

Pk99 wrote:I have just installed zorin o/s 7 because that was the one the website automatically gave me.
It is working (hurrah), but it said it would import all my files etc from my Windows installation, but it didn't.
Could someone tell me how to do this thanks.

I find that somewhat odd - 7 is no longer supported - the official website only gives links to Zorin 8 - what website did you download Zorin from? :?

Pk99

Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:23:59 pm

Thanks,
Firstly, I found the windows files, although no USERS folder, but I decided it was a good time to put everything on an external hard drive anyway, so that's all good!
Secondly, I tried to download Zorin 6.4 core 32 bit from the "Get it" option on the Zorin website.
However, because I was having trouble with a slow download I switched to a different mirror and ended up with Zorin 7.
It was only when I came on this forum that I saw Zorin 7 is no longer supported.
I have only been using it for a day and it is fine. Do you think i should switch to 6.4?
Thanks

Wolfman

Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:45:40 pm

Hi,

Zorin 6 is good, Zorin 8 is supported until July 2014 and Zorin 9 will be out in a few months!.

I will mark this as solved as your original problem is sorted!.

Regards Wolfman :D

http://zorin-os.com/free6.html

http://zorin-os.com/free8.html