This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 8 for Dell Dimension 8300

jcherwig

Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:15:59 am

Over the weekend, I successfully installed Zorin 8 core on an older Dell Latitude 830 laptop. It installed easily and runs great. I love it.

Tried installing it on an older Dell Dimension 8300. It seemed to install fine. When the install was finished I was instructed to Restart the computer. When it restarted the Zorin boot screen came on briefly and then the screen went black with just the mouse cursor showing. I have read hours and hours of instructions online and tried to implement many fixes to no avail. From what I can gather, the consensus is that the problem is related to Nvidia, but I am new to Zorin and have no clue.

If I buy the Zorin 8 Premium or Ultimate will that resolve the problem? If I buy the OS, will I get help and support that will get it to run?
In the interim, I installed Ubuntu and it runs fine. No problems. So the issue does not seem to be related to Linux systems generally only to ZOrin specifically.

I do not particularly like Ubuntu. If I can get a successful install of Zorin then I would be most grateful and pleased.

Jeff

Wolfman

Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:03:13 am

Hi and welcome Jeff,

start your PC in recovery mode (2nd option in the boot menu and 2nd option again) and firstly click on "Network" to activate the network, A NETWORK CABLE IS REQUIRED!!!!!.

Then go to "root" and type the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

Once installed, restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del, do not click on RESUME!.

Once it restarts, check for updates and also see this guide about "whiteout":

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Let us know how you get on.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:41:50 am

I would be a bit careful on using nVidia drivers on an old piece of kit! :D

Start the machine up and when you see the GRUB menu, press the 'TAB' key to edit boot command and enter:

Code:
forcevesa acpi=off nomodeset
then press the 'Enter' key to continue booting.

Keep us posted! :D