This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] can´t access setup to install os8 lite!

mdfjs

Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:18:08 pm

hello new friends!
i´m trying to get out of windows xp just died by microsoft.
my pc is an old packbard bell easy note mz 512mb ram celeron 1.6 40gb disk storage and cannot access the setup to changue boot to cd drive to load os 8 lite.iso.
I tried with cmospassword and other bios software with no results.
Please help me to migrate to linux...
thanks
Martin from Argentina ;)

Wolfman

Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:59:42 pm

Hi Martin,

you need to enter BIOS and change the boot order:

http://www.howtogeek.com/129815/beginne ... ters-bios/

You might have to press F1 or F2 or Del to enter BIOS!.

Let us know how you get on. :D

Anonymous

Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:06:15 pm

Hello
To be able to help you can you tell more in details what you have tried to do and what kind of CD/DVD drive you have. Do you see the boot order from BIOS that it would boot from a DVD, and do you have USB port(s) in your computer. Additionally did you download the .iso file and did you burn it on a DVD for installation using that computer. Do you have an other computer to try that your DVD will start the Zorin 8 Lite in some other computer.

In older computers the boot order is mainly set by default so that it will boot from the CD/DVD if that is in the drive when you start the computer. If there is not a DVD in the drive, so it boots from internal HDD. Then it starts Windows. If you have tested that your DVD is ok. and it does not boot from the CD/DVD Drive then check the boot order from BIOS and change the order so that it boots first from the CD/DVD Drive.

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:10:44 pm

To be fair to the OP - he did state he had tried changing setup which is a term oft used, even by Dell to enter the BIOS. The other clue - it is 'old' with 40 Gb HD - Probably 5 or more years old and low memory.

Well to the OP, welcome to Zorin and I think you need PLOP Boot manager to help you get started - this enables your old kit to boot from USB - the other isssue - is the optical drive a DVD? If it isn't you may need to purchase an external DVD-RW/ROM drive or USB flash drive and use PLOP Boot.

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html

mdfjs

Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:25:36 am

Henriolavi wrote:Hello
To be able to help you can you tell more in details what you have tried to do and what kind of CD/DVD drive you have. Do you see the boot order from BIOS that it would boot from a DVD, and do you have USB port(s) in your computer. Additionally did you download the .iso file and did you burn it on a DVD for installation using that computer. Do you have an other computer to try that your DVD will start the Zorin 8 Lite in some other computer.

In older computers the boot order is mainly set by default so that it will boot from the CD/DVD if that is in the drive when you start the computer. If there is not a DVD in the drive, so it boots from internal HDD. Then it starts Windows. If you have tested that your DVD is ok. and it does not boot from the CD/DVD Drive then check the boot order from BIOS and change the order so that it boots first from the CD/DVD Drive.

Thanks all of you, new friends, for yours answers. Finally I can finish the downloading of os8 lite.iso and and generated the dvd with imgburn.
Like Henriolavi says my old pc boot from that DVD who´s first in the boot list, prior DiskDrive. I`m been running LIVE version from the DVD and I ask you if finally I proceed with the denitive instalation of the Zorin OS, tht operation will erase my ancient XP or I will be able to choose XP or Zorin
in each future boot??
Thanks & regards again

Anonymous

Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:54:35 am

Hi, nice to hear that

When going further to install the Zorin 8 Lite to HDD, look that you have free space on your HDD to make that. If you have more than 5 Gb free so you may have a dual boot system installed. Othervice you have to remove something from HDD to get free space to install. When booting from DVD and going to install option then there opens a window asking what you want to do.

There is normally three options. You can overwrite the existing os. (Windows XP) and all data on the HDD and make a clean Zorin 8 Lite installation to HDD, or you can make a Dual Boot system only selecting that option and the installation software will make the HDD partitioning for installation, or you can select the "something else" method that means that you make the partitioning arrangements to the HDD by yourself. There is a tutorial how to make this if that option is selected.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

If you go to a clean Zorin 8 Lite installation backup all your data from HDD to some external memory device, USB, DVD or external HDD before entering to installation, othervice all data has erased and gone and you can not get it back any more. It is recommended that you backup your data in any case prior to doing anything else if something goes wrong.

Look also this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6944

This might be also beneficial to read:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6939

Wolfman

Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:07:31 am

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:12:31 pm

If you want to still dual boot make sure that your network card/wireless in XP is disabled! :D I would suggest if you are dual booting, back up to external device as already suggested in any event and then split your drive into usefus size of 20 Gb for each OS! :D (Depending on what apps you have in stalled and what 'free space' is currently showing in Windows. :D

mdfjs

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:10:00 pm

Dear New Friends:
I finally install os8 lite with dual boot with xp!! the split of HD 20gb xp, 20 gb OS8 lite! my epson printer tx115 installed! wifi adsl wireless OK!
Now i'm trying to configure Wine but I not understanding what do in that configuration. Do you know where I can found some tutorial about?
Many thanks to all of you
Regards
Martin

Wolfman

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:00:56 am

Hi Martin,

go here and search the Wine forum:

http://www.winehq.org/help/

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:20:38 pm

mdfjs wrote:Dear New Friends:
I finally install os8 lite with dual boot with xp!! the split of HD 20gb xp, 20 gb OS8 lite! my epson printer tx115 installed! wifi adsl wireless OK!
Now i'm trying to configure Wine but I not understanding what do in that configuration. Do you know where I can found some tutorial about?
Many thanks to all of you
Regards
Martin

You could also start a new thread in the Help and Support section and specify what it is you are wanting to do in Wine - i.e., what Windows applications are you keen to install? :D