This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Dell studio 1737 wifi issues

Baconbuttyman

Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:24:09 pm

hi guys
Just installed Zorin for the first time, i tried it on live cd first and tbh couldn't believe how fast it was, any way, the live cd would not allow wifi or find the card, but i thought that if i install then it will update etc, any way, installed the system, all updated via ethernet, but still wont allow activation of the card, any idea's, i am new to linux so i dont have a clue

Wolfman

Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:49:52 am

Hi,

2 quick options for you, one is to open Synaptic package manager > Settings > Repositories > Additonal Drivers and look for any additional drivers for WiFi and graphics card.

The second is to try the Windows Wireless Driver tool (Zorin Menu > Syytem Tools > Administration) but you will need the Windows WiFi drivers CD. read from Section 3 here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... diswrapper

Another option is to wait for Madvinegar as he is the WLAN expert, he should be along soon!.

You can also do a force update with the following terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

And restart your PC again.

Let us know what happens!. :D

madvinegar

Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:52:56 am

Please post back the following terminal results:

lspci -nn | grep 0280
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

Baconbuttyman

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:18:35 am

madvinegar wrote:Please post back the following terminal results:

lspci -nn | grep 0280
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

Yeah I dont knoe what that means

Wolfman

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:47:05 am

Hi,

open a terminal by pressing Ctrl + Alt + t (or Zorin Menu > Accessories > Terminal) and copy and paste the command that MV posted earlier, it will give you feedback as to your hardware!.