This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(CLOSED) Assign the Windows key to open the menu in Zorin

Wolfgang02

Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:00:49 pm

First I would like to say hello. I have been looking at using Zorin for a couple of months now but as my Win XP has finally stop being supported, I have now finally installed Zorin 8 on both of my computers.

I am loving the OS (the look and feel) but I would love to be able to assign the Windows key to the menu. I have looked around on the web and found that this can be done in Ubuntu but I can't to seem to be able to do it in Zorin.

I understand that the Windows key is called the Super key and I can see where keyboard shortcuts are placed but that is all I can find. Does anyone else have the same issue?

May I ask, if you do respond can you please write any instructions in simple steps as I still think in Windows terms and although learning, I still need to learn alot more before I am confident with Linux.

Love the OS and I strongly recommend Windows users to give this OS a try. It is just fantastic.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:11:17 pm

Hi,

take a look here and I will try and get back to you later with a full answer, this is a tricky(ish) one:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/19556/ho ... r-key?lq=1

Good luck!. :D

Wolfgang02

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:08:05 am

Hi Wolfman and thank you for getting back to me.

I did look at this and it mentions to go to System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts but I couldn't find that. I did manage to find Zorin Menu -> System Settings (on the left hand side) -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts (on the top menu). In here I couldn't find 'Show the panel's main menu' so I can not assign a key.

I did launch terminal (by going to Zorin Menu and type in Term and then I click on Terminal) and using cut and paste I used the line:

gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/panel_main_menu --type string "Super_L"

But this did nothing.

From what I have read, I understand (correct if I am wrong - as only been using Zorin for a couple of days) there is one command line language but many GUI and each GUI has a different method of doing things. What GUI does Zorin use?

I believe Linux is the name given to a kernel and GUI was an after thought and different programmers (and users alike) had their own preference to which GUI they liked (please correct me if I am mistaken). I have not tried any others but I really love Zorin because it feels familiar.

From the line above, gconftool-2 is a program on my system which would change the global_keybindings file with a line so that when I pressed the "Super_L" key, it would run the command panel_main_menu. If my understanding is correct then could I alter the keyshort cut by creating a custom entry:
System Settings -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> Custom Shortcuts
Click on the + at the bottom of the screen and then it brings up the dialog:
Name:
Command:

What would happen if I populated it as follows?
Name: Zorin Menu
Command: panel_main_menu

Could I harm my system?

Thank you for reading all this and thank in advance for any help.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:12:36 am

Hi,

I tried a few things myself but couldn't get them to work, sit tight and I will get back to you when I hear from the devs, I PM'd them and hopefully they will have a solution!.

:D

Wolfgang02

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:00:41 am

Thank you Wolfman. That is excellent and I will sit tight and wait. I know these tech guys sometimes are not the quickest. Look forward to hearing their answer.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:07:55 am

Alrighty Wolfgang02,

I will PM you when done!. :D

Wolfman

Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:42:19 am

Hi Wolfgang02,

I am afraid that they said no!, they will try and incorperate that feature in the next version of Zorin, for now though; it isn't possible!. :(

Wolfgang02

Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:48:59 am

That would be a wonderful feature. Old hat Windows users like me, use the windows key a lot more then we realise.

Wolfman

Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:55:46 am

Alright, I will mark this as closed as it isn't solved!.

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:08:35 pm

You can get the Super key to work if you install Cairo-Dock, then install GnoMenu! :mrgreen:

See my vimeo.com channel - just search for my username here and you will see the vid with it on! :mrgreen:

[Video Link: https://vimeo.com/85050945 ]

Ghelthon

Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:14:42 pm

Isn't it possible to use an external app, like AutoKey, to open the Zorin App Menu? I could try to write a script, I just don't know what's the command for opening the Zorin Menu.

Wolfman

Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:33:33 pm

Hi,

nope, like I said on your thread, the devs will try and incorporate it in the next version of Zorin!. :D