This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin 8 Lite Input methods

Anonymous

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:07:57 am

The hot issue for to day is that Zorin 8 Lite has been launched. I have looked it and there is some things that do not open for me.

- In the "Preferences" there is in the sub menu "Input Method" and a clarification "Set Keyboard Input Method". Going there it opens a window "Input Method Configuration" telling something of ibus configuration, but there is not any selection in that window ? If you hit OK then opens a new window asking "Do you explicitly select the user configuration" Select NO (recommended) ? When selecting No it opens a new windows telling : "Keeping the user configuration/home/live/ xinputrc as missing". "Automatic configuratin selects: ibus "

Then there are some additional text and finally: " If the daemon program for the previous configuration is re-started by the x session manager , you may need to to kill it manually with kill(1). See im-config(8) and /usr/share doc/im-config/README: Debian .gz for more." What this is for? Is this something to make some selection to "Set Keyboard Input Method" so to say, make the keyboard language setting? When selecting here OK. the window closes. Could someone give more info what this is all about?

When you then go further from "Preferences" to "Keyboard Input Methods" It opens a IBUS Preferences Window and going there to "Input Methods" selecting Customice active input methods you can finally select an input method (language) and add it into the list to get your keyboard set to a new language mode.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:12:12 am

Hi,

here is something for you to start with:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

I am not using Lite at the mo but will switch to it later and check out your problem, I am not planning on installing it yet!. (I still might do though!)

Anonymous

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:30:55 am

Thanks Wolfman, I do not have here just now any problem to be solved. Only problem here now is that I do not understand why it is made so complicated to change the Keyboards language. I succeeded in that even if it took some time to find out what should be done. The terms there and the content of texts was really strange compared to Zorin 8 Core/Ultimate ditros.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:44:30 am

Hi Henriolavi,

I knew it was buggy and this might explain why, I always just fart around it to get it right myself!:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/362973/k ... e-i-reboot

I did do a language how-to but I need to add info for Zorin Lite!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1699

Anonymous

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:31:05 am

I just looked whether the "Input Methods" are the same in LXLEos. Almost the same, but the "Input Method Configuration" has been replaced by using "Input Method Switcher" that have the selection possibility in that window. The difference is that LXLT has been set to "Use setting by the sysadmin" (default) instead of "IBus". This means that LXLE takes the Keyboard Language setting somewhere else than from "IBus Preferences", do not know where, but I did not make any language settings in that window due to it does not open with that default setting and I can not change it in DVDlive session. Because it is not valid before restart so it will be set then back to default. However the keyboard works ok. having Ä Ö and Å the North European keyboard caracters here. There is artificial intelligence, don't know, can it see my keyboard? I have not changed even the Language setting only the Time Zone has been changed. :o :?:

Wolfman

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:06:35 am

Hi,

I just added info about keyboard layouts and languages to the Zorin Lite guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835&p=22914#p22914

For further info on language settings, see the link for the language how-to I posted earlier.

:D :D :D

Anonymous

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:38:35 am

Thanks, now it is done accordingly and the flag is also there. I believe that this guide addition was a very important to have, that everyone can make the keyboard language setting easily. Thanks also for additional info of language settings. Personally I prefer to use English due to have the same terminology.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:06:33 pm

Hi,

it is a good job you pointed it out to me as I didn't do it before!.

:D :D :D

Anonymous

Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:42:46 pm

Just for your information. The guide added for making Keyboard Language Selection for Zorin 8 Lite does not apply to LXLE. There is in the Preferences submenu LXKeymap to select the keypoard language.

Wolfman

Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:45:30 am

Hi Henriolavi,

thanks for the heads-up about LXLE.

Can we mark this as solved now?.

Anonymous

Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:27:05 am

Yes can be closed, there are not open issues concerning keyboard language selection. Thanks alot. :)