This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] What happens if you use unsupported versions

Wolfgang02

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:30:43 am

Hi all

I have read a topic yesterday that people should move over to the latest version of Zorin (which happens to be 8).

I just moved from Windows XP because they stop supporting it. When I bought my last laptop, it came with Windows 7 but I didn't like it so I put XP on it (knowing the ticking of the bomb was already announced but I preferred XP). Hate the look of 8 more than 7. Never used it but I have seen it in shops and I know I do not want it.

So I looked at alternatives and found LinuxMint and Zorin. I put Zorin onto a USB stick and immediately fell in love, so much so that I didn't try LinuxMint (no disrespect to LinuxMint - but I found what I was looking for). This is so much like XP and feels natural.

I have looked around the internet and found the following information (please correct me if I am wrong), a new version of Ubuntu is developed every 2 years but a LTS (long term support) is around every 5 years. Zorin is based on Ubuntu so I guess the same applies to Zorin but Zorin 8 (which is what I installed before I read the posts is not a LTS version of Zorin).

I paid for the Zorin Ultimate and although it is very, very cheap I would not like to have to keep forking out money every 2 years. Mind the cost is not the real issue, lets be honest - for one copy MS Windows, I could get around 20 years worth of licences with Zorin. So the real issue is:
What happens if I do not move my OS when it is unsupported?

Am I open to attack like in XP? - I am more scared of a Phishing attacks and malware because I think with a good AV you can cure a virus.

When MS Windows releases a new OS, they seem to change the way in which we have to interact with it, is that same with Zorin? (is Zorin 6 much different from Zorin 8)?

When MS Windows release a new OS you seem to need to hardware, is that the same with Zorin?

I keep referring to Zorin because it is the distribution version of Linux I have grown to love and it is working nearly flawlessly on 2 of my computers. Once I have these up and running I will move the older two if they will run Zorin. My feelings are that they are too old because they were bought in end of 2007 and early 2008. The oldest is a Dell Inspiron 6400 and the other is Fujitsu Siemens V5535 but I will test them with the live USB. I want all my computers on the same OS so that way I only need to learn one OS.

Would I need to point out, that I respect MS Windows is a trading name and a registered trade mark which is owned my MicroSoft Corporation? Would not like to get sued for misuse of ones trading name / registered trade mark.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:28:11 am

Hi,

the only real problem problem with running an unsupported version of Linux is the lack of security updates, even though viruses have no or little impact on Linux, there is still a chance that one will get through on an unsupprted system!.

You don't have to use the Ultimate version of Zorin, there is also the free version which really only has less apps installed, it is nice for the devs if you can donate though!.

All support on this forum is free!.

You don't need an anti virus app unless you are moving files to Windows/MAC based systems!.

Zorin 9 will be out soon which is based on an LTS version of Ubuntu (14.04 Trusty Tahr) and will supported for 5 years. recent doners to Zorin 8 will need to talk to the devs about cost if any for the newer version!.

Hope that answers your questions. :D

Wolfgang02

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:43:49 pm

Do you know if the Zorin 9 will look and feel like Zorin 8 or will it be completly different?

Also I would like to know, because I have added things into my fstab and other progs (using wget on the command prompt), does it mean that I would need to add / install them again? -- If so, then I better keep a log of all the things I do.

Thank you, once again Wolfman for your help and support. Without people like you this OS would be fundamentally flawed.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:30:56 pm

Hi Wolfgang02,

you can keep all your settings if you follow this guide when updating your version of Zorin OS:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

I would assume that they are keeping the same format for Zorin 9 as they did by Zorin 7 & 8!.

Wolfgang02

Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:06:30 pm

That is fantastic and thank you, once again :)

Wolfman

Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:39:07 am

You are welcome. :D