This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) EPSON Stylus Sx435W drivers wont install

Germiston

Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:41:29 pm

Apologies. I'm a newbie moving from XP & so dont really understand Zorin BUT before I carried out a full install I ran the OS from the ISO disc I had created. Using that I quickly identified & installed the approved Epson drivers & printed a page. I then opted for a full install & while I can find my printer in the list that is created & choose the same drivers I did whilst running from the disc I cant get them to install it seems to 'hang' at a point before the 'progress bar' is created. Help...I'm totally stuck :?

Wolfman

Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:56:46 am

Hi,

open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Restart afterwards and see if you can print, the above command forces any missing dependencies and updates to install!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

For info about software sources settings and updating in general!. :D

Also, you can open Synaptic package manager and type "epson" in search and install all the packages it shows if any are missing as installed in the list!.
Synaptic Package Manager _011.jpg

Germiston

Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:53:19 am

Morning. When I tried the terminal it prompted me for a password...when I tried to put one in, nothing happened....no typing appeared. I am now using Synaptic as you suggested BUT there are a couple of dozen drivers many of which don't appear to relate to my printer. Incidentally...I tried to install the drivers the 'normal way' first thing this a.m. & it seems that the 'system' froze/stopped responding...sorry can't be more technical, but in XP I just pressed a key and stuff happened. Further help sought please...

Germiston

Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:59:04 am

Thus far all the suggestions seem to have failed in part because (I suspect) the 'system' has just frozen.
I went into the Synaptic PkMgr & found the correct driver for the SX4354W (I didnt tick ALL epson drivers) & it ran until the following message appeared
E: man-db: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
I have no idea what this means...maybe I should go back to XP?
Speaking of XP despite installing Zorin alongside it, I cant find it at boot up?

Anonymous

Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:08:50 am

Germiston > Note anytime your using the terminal.
You will never see the physical password being keyed in by yourself.
It's supposed to be that way for security measures.

Wolfman

Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:54:39 am

Hi,

start your PC in recovery mode (2nd menu option, then 2nd option again) and activate "network", (Network cable connection is required!) and once the network is active, go to "DPKG" and click on that and let it do its thing, restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del and then try installing the Epson drivers again!.

Let us know if this helps.

Germiston

Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:27:01 am

Morning. No dice...nothing happens.
I want to uninstall Zorin entirely and resurrect XP but as previously stated despite installing alongside XP I can't find it. It's more urgent now as my daughter rang yesterday ask g me to forward some university work she did on our PC....
Can you help with a simple guide to doing this or do I need to repost?
Thanks in advance...

Wolfman

Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:06:48 pm

Hi,

try this command once more now you know about the password thing!:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Restart once done!.

Try Synaptic again and install ALL the packages!.

Restart once done!.

Repost on a new thread with your other problem as we need to know what it is exactly you want to do with XP!.

Germiston

Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:27:35 pm

HI...IT'S SORTED... I have no idea how because 5 minutes ago, before attempting your latest suggestion, I gave it one last go through the Software Centre & this time it connected/downloaded & installed without any issues. I have even printed a test page. I'm pleased but confused....
THANK YOU for your advice

Wolfman

Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:41:27 pm

Hi,

I assume it was because there was a problem with your software sources not updating corectly?.

Anyway, it is fixed and we can mark this as solved!. :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:19:55 pm

120 blue jewels to Wolfman! :D