This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Multi-Boot Setup - Need Help

Dr. Bites

Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:29:34 pm

Hello: I have 2 Hard Drives with a total of 8 partitions - 4 partitions per drive.. On the "D:\" drive, I have Windows-XP and Ubuntu installed.. I had Win-98SE on the "C:\" drive, but recently deleted everything on that partition.. I was going to put Ubuntu on the C:\ drive partition, but when I installed Ubuntu, it didn't give me a chioce of "C:\ - D:\ or..... Instead, it gave me a choice of "sda - sda1 - sda2 - etc.. (what, like they couldn't just give the name of the drives, like Windows or DOS does?).. Anyway, here's what I want to do.. I want to keep everything as it is, find out which of those "sda?" partitions is actually "C:\" and install Zorin onto the C:\ drive partition and give that entire partition of "C:\ to Zorin, leaving the other partitions exactly as they are, intact.. Then when I boot up, the Grub Screen gives me the option of booting up into either Ubuntu, Win-XP, or Zorin.. I await any intelligent replies and thank you in advance for your help and input.. Best regards, Dr. Bites..

Wolfman

Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:18:52 am

Hi,

further to henriolavi's comments, I suggest you start here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Howto ... ningBasics

dev/sda is the name given to the first hard drive, in turn; each partition gets a number added to the sda name, so the first partition will have the name dev/sda1 then dev/sda2 and so on, if you have a second hard drive, it will have the designation "dev/sdb; dev/sdb1 and so on!.

You only must make sure that when installing, you place the boot manager on the first drive "sda".

Call back if you have problems.