This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Possible to run Zorin & WinXP in same window?

mudhen33

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:12:17 pm

A newbie question here......
Is it possible to run Zorin & WinXP both in the same window?
I have a 2nd hard drive (D) installed, (not a C drive partitioned)
Can I run Zorin with Thunderbird & Firefox on one drive, with internet connection (for security)
and do Win XP with my Graphics (Corel Draw) off line on the other drive?
I'm willing to learn a new OS with Zorin, but have over 4k files of Corel, and it's a must have.
My last resort may be to use Wine, but wondering if possible?
TIA

IBM Thinkcenter M51
Drive C 80 gig
Drive D 160 gig
3 GB ram

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:10:04 pm

Hi and welcome to Zorin! :D I'm afraid you can't have seamless OS operations like you can on a Mac with software that allows you to seamlessly switch from one OS to another - the only way you could do this would be to install XP to a Virtual Machine using Virtual Box. As for Corel Draw there may be some issues with WINE to get it to run:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibilit ... search=app

There is nothing to stop you from booting into XP so long as you keep your network card disabled - you would have a choice at boot time as to which OS you want to boot into but you could not run both unless you had a virtual XP install as stated above. :D

mudhen33

Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:41:58 am

Thanks Swarfender437,
I've done some web research about your Virtual Machine idea.
That may be my best bet.
Would it be best to have Zorin on my C drive, just for web/email
and do my graphic work on the F drive with Corel & WinXP?
Or best to flip them?
Already have made a CD of scaled down WinXP with NLite
(my first post had my slave as D, my mistake, it is F)

Wolfman

Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:19:15 am

Hi,

I don't do it myself, try this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows- ... VirtualBox

I cannot give you any advice about which drives to use as I cannot see what layout you have!.

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:15:30 am

If your Win XP is on C: leave it there! Windows should always always be at the 'start' of a Hard Drive - Linux second - or you will be asking for trouble down the line! :D

botcrusher

Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:30:23 pm

Hello just a quick note DO need wolf's warning about disabling the network card inside. XP
As a study posted a few years ago, found that an unprotected xp computer could be compromised in 5 minutes. That was before support ended, so I imagine you could be compromised even faster than that.
Recently while installing zorin on an xp machine, I was shreding personal files and I had connected to the internet to download the latest update to malware bytes. After running a full scan and finding nothing I was going out for dinner so I thought what the heck and ran another one. Sure enough when I got back it had found quite a few little nasties that had gotten there In The two hours I was gone.

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:57:04 pm

botcrusher wrote:Hello just a quick note DO need wolf's warning about disabling the network card inside. XP
As a study posted a few years ago, found that an unprotected xp computer could be compromised in 5 minutes. That was before support ended, so I imagine you could be compromised even faster than that.
Recently while installing zorin on an xp machine, I was shreding personal files and I had connected to the internet to download the latest update to malware bytes. After running a full scan and finding nothing I was going out for dinner so I thought what the heck and ran another one. Sure enough when I got back it had found quite a few little nasties that had gotten there In The two hours I was gone.

Apologies to Wolfman, I have NOT stolen your ID - botcrusher has! :D

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6993#p33102

botcrusher

Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:23:53 pm

Woops! Sorry about that I'm on a mobile device and thought I was reading a different post XD