This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Where to place programs and create a menu shortcut

Wolfgang02

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:57:15 am

Hi

I have installed a real time backup program but it sits on my desktop.

I would like to put it into it's own directory but where do programs live on Zorin? (in Windows it used to be Program Files).

Can I create a menu item for the program?

Kind regards.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:47:40 am

Have you seen if there has been any change in the main menu of Zorin? As it is a back up tool check out the following locations:

Menu | System Tools

Menu | System Tools | System Settings

The last one listed has the default 'Backup' porgram in the bottom panel - see if the new one is in there or see what happens when you click on the 'backup' icon in system settings to see if it has associated itself with the new application.

Wolfgang02

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:19:35 pm

Hi

I have looked in System Tools and nothing different (or new). The program is called "SuperFlexibleSynchronizer" on my desktop. I just double click it and it runs. It is OK there, just be nicer if it lived with the other programs.

As far as the Back Up in (System Tools, System Settings and then the bottom left icon) it doesn't have any new options which means it has not been intergrated which is alittle disappointing.

I thought may be it would have because part of the program had to be installed from Command Prompt (I think the 32 bit libary - as I run the 64bit version of Zorin) and then I just downloaded the program from the website.

Where would you normally run program from? Is there a directory for Program Files?

This Linux file system is so different from Windows. Like my NAS drive, I would expect a drive letter but instead it is /mnt/NASdrive1, 2 and 3 while in Windows I had Z:, Y: and X: I guess it is all about learning the OS. :) . Just thinking actually, it is better the Linux way because in Windows I am guessing you can only have upto 26 mapped drives (minus C and D for HDD and CD-Rom and a few others so 26 is a bit optimistic) while in Linux, I could map subdirectories within each NAS drive. So while I am mapping seperate raid HDD on different NAS drives, I could actually map subdirectories on these and link to them. That gives me so more scope ... I am going to play LOL :)

Wolfman

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:50:43 pm

Hi,

application files can be found under: nautilus (your home folder) > Computer > usr > share > applications

Right click any application in the list and then "Copy To" > Desktop and it will create a desktop icon, hold down the Ctrl button and mark the ones you want and do them all at once!.

Wolfgang02

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:56:22 am

Thank you. Wolfman :) How many jewels for this answer? or is it another meal at the ritz? I may as well buy the ritz if I am going to keep buying you meals there. It will turn out cheaper for me. :)

Wolfman

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:56:39 am

Hi Wolfgang02,

Swarfendor is the man for giving out "Blue Jewels, I prefer a carton of ciggies and a crate of beer myself!. :D

Glad it is sorted!. :D

tld6008

Wed May 21, 2014 5:59:58 pm

I have searched this forum for an answer to my problem and so far can't find a previous submittal so...
I am running Zorin and have a back up program that keeps giving me an error related to backup failure, the error code is 401. The program just started automatically so it must be something from the Ubuntu Software center. I would turn it off but can't figure that out either.

TIA

Wolfman

Wed May 21, 2014 6:07:40 pm

tld6008 wrote:I have searched this forum for an answer to my problem and so far can't find a previous submittal so...
I am running Zorin and have a back up program that keeps giving me an error related to backup failure, the error code is 401. The program just started automatically so it must be something from the Ubuntu Software center. I would turn it off but can't figure that out either.

TIA

Hi,

did you read this?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7393

Please start a new thread!.