This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] LDAP login funtionality

dkassemos

Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:41:35 pm

I manage IT for a very small school sna now that XP is no longer an option, I would like to use Zorin.

I have attempted Zorin using samba winbind and AD accounts in the past with mixed results, most notably the desktop freaked out.

I have set up a 389 Directory server to replace MSAD and would like to use Zorin as the Clients.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
David

Wolfman

Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:52:58 pm

dkassemos

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:06:23 pm

Not exactly what I am looking for, but thank you...

I want to log on to my Zorin 8 workstations using LDAP credentials instead of local accounts from /etc/passwd.
The greeter in 8 doesn't even allow the choice of a non-local account

David

Wolfman

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:14:32 pm

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:17:28 pm

dkassemos

Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:51:35 pm

I appreciate everyones help but

The actual problem is - The greeter in 8 doesn't allow the choice of a non-local account or an "Other" login

I have attempted to modify the lightdm.conf with "greeter-show-manual-login=true" with no success.

How do I reconfigure the Zorin-Greeter?

David

Wolfman

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:27:14 pm

Hi David,

see the post install guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

and the section about adding other user accounts, it might be what you want!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6338

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:37:16 pm

dkassemos

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:37:12 pm

Thanks again

I will try these links this weekend and let you know

dkassemos

Fri May 16, 2014 11:23:07 am

Heritage Logon Screen.png
KDM and Elegant Air Theme with tweak
OKAY... Got it working but not with built-in Zorin utilities. I installed the KDM dispaly manager and set it as the default Display manager.
By default no user list is displayed so it allowed my LDAP login.
It did however display previous logged on user so I installed the KDE tools
(which installed under System Tools->Preferance -> KDE System Settings)
I was then able to configure the Display Manager just the way I wanted and LDAP users work great.

I hope this helps someone else.

Added a pic of the new Greeter Page:

Swarfendor437

Fri May 16, 2014 11:50:09 am

Hi, thanks for getting back to us and providing useful information to help others! 60 blue jewels to you sir! :D

Will mark as [SOLVED]!

StNikolai

Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:17:55 pm

Apologies as this is already solved, but I stumbled upon this thread in an attempt to get LDAP login working for Zorin 9 and this is the closest topic I could find on google, and I'm posting this here for others like me who stumble on here hoping to get this working! Using what was said here I managed to piece together how to do it without even switching out the Zorin greeter (Keep in mind I'm in Zorin 9). Instead of switching to KDM Display edit your "50-zorin-greeter.conf" file (I noticed there actually wasn't a lightdm.conf file for me to add "greeter-show-manual-login=true" to, instead there is a lightdm.conf.d directory that contains the individual setting files for the greeter) and add the line "greeter-show-manual-login=true" after restarting the computer under your admin user there will be a manual log on spot that you can click on...I HAVE NOT managed to configure LDAP properly yet however and can't seem to get it working 100% just yet, but I finally at least managed getting the manual log-in field to show up without trashing Zorin's beautiful greeter!

Again I apologize if I'm in the wrong dropping this here, just hoping to help newer users using higher versions and only finding these dusty old topics... ~St. Nikolai

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:04:47 am

StNikolai wrote:Apologies as this is already solved, but I stumbled upon this thread in an attempt to get LDAP login working for Zorin 9 and this is the closest topic I could find on google, and I'm posting this here for others like me who stumble on here hoping to get this working! Using what was said here I managed to piece together how to do it without even switching out the Zorin greeter (Keep in mind I'm in Zorin 9). Instead of switching to KDM Display edit your "50-zorin-greeter.conf" file (I noticed there actually wasn't a lightdm.conf file for me to add "greeter-show-manual-login=true" to, instead there is a lightdm.conf.d directory that contains the individual setting files for the greeter) and add the line "greeter-show-manual-login=true" after restarting the computer under your admin user there will be a manual log on spot that you can click on...I HAVE NOT managed to configure LDAP properly yet however and can't seem to get it working 100% just yet, but I finally at least managed getting the manual log-in field to show up without trashing Zorin's beautiful greeter!

Again I apologize if I'm in the wrong dropping this here, just hoping to help newer users using higher versions and only finding these dusty old topics... ~St. Nikolai

Please take a look at global announcements first! :D

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7474

And apologies if I got this wroing! :oops: