This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Add/Remove Programs to Start Menu

gilrath10

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:57:49 pm

Hi,
How do you add or remove programs on the Zorin Start Menu? (Windows 7 theme)

Thanks,
Gil.

Wolfgang02

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:26:21 am

Hi

I have just managed to solve this. I am new here too, so there may be a better way to do this but this is what I did and it worked for me.

I right clicked the Z (start menu for Windows users like me), preferences and I saw the menu is created using a program called alacarte. So I opened a terminal and typed: alacarte. I got a message saying "The program 'alacarte' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install alacarte". Please find below the instructions for installing alacarte and adding an item to the menu.

1. Open terminal (<CTRL> + <ALT> + t)
2. Install alacarte:
Code:
sudo apt-get install alacarte

3. Enter your password
4 I always update the system and update the dependencies (Not essential):
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

5. Open alacarte:
Code:
alacarte

6. Click "New Item" on the right hand side
menu1.jpg

7. In the next menu :
Name = The name you would like the program to be called in the menu
Command = The application (including the path) - I found it easier to click browse and find the program manually
Comment = If you put your mouse over the program, a small description of what the program will do. This is not essential.
menu2.jpg

8. Open your menu and you will see a new folder called "Other" and inside other will be your program.

Let me know how you get on.

gilrath10

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:27:41 am

Thanks mate.
That sort of worked.

Why can't I see the newly created entry in alacarte?
I can see it in the Start Menu, but if I wanted to remove it or make changes to it what do I do?

Wolfman

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:30:58 am

gilrath10 wrote:Thanks mate.
That sort of worked.

Why can't I see the newly created entry in alacarte?
I can see it in the Start Menu, but if I wanted to remove it or make changes to it what do I do?

Hi,

did you do a full restart and then look in the menu?. Some of the time, newly installed apps won't show until you do a reboot!.

Can we mark this as solved?. :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:15:46 am

Mmmm, interesting! When I tried to install alacarte before this post my terminal reported it was not in the repos - had a parse error which I think I rectified but may be causing other issues (backports). My 'interesting' comment is that it awakened the memory of having to keep reverting the menu after items added, because in earlier versions of Zorin you got double of everything in the menu after adding stuff so you had to do a 'manual' revert and a 'restart' to return to normal - this could be why the devs have dropped the menu editing feature. ;)

Wolfman

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:27:06 am

Hi,

you should/can also install the package "menu", it auto-installs with the package "bleachbit":

Debian menu keeps transparently the menus in the different window-managers
in sync with the list of installed programs.

Debian menu relies on a list of menu entries provided by programs and a
list of menu-methods provided by window-managers and other menu-aware
applications.

Menu provides system-level and user-level configuration and overrides for
both menu entries and menu-methods.

Another package I always install and some people give me Flak for; is the full "gnome" package", I find it helps stabilise the system!. (It does install a shed-load of things you don't need but I do it nonetheles!!)