This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Indicator 3 Crashes on Lock

botcrusher

Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:32:15 pm

I found a little bug where the Indicator 3 applet will disappear when the machine is locked, opening up the awn preferences shows that indicator is there, but i have to disable and re-enable indicator to work.
In case it's any help to you,
Memory: 7.7 Gb
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz × 4
Graphics driver: Gallium 0.4 on NVD9 (Only because i have been unsuccessful in installing Nvidia drivers, but that's another story.)
OS Type: 64-bit
And disk, 190.5 Gb (Of 200 Gb)

P.S Aside from a couple little quirks like this, i'm really enjoying having finally jumped-ship from Windows 8.1
P.P.S Your search bar is quite strict, the filtering is pretty counter-productive

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:43:06 pm

Hi, I have been wanting to get rid of this, and now I have! I don't know if it is down to the fact that AWN is under new project development, but I now have my digital clock and calendar back, audio manager, and notification area! :D

29.png

botcrusher

Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:52:46 pm

well there you go!
I was wondering if there is some sort of update that could correct this, Or if there is some way i could write a bash or other auto executing script that disables, then re-enables it?

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:34:19 pm

Right-clck the AWN Panel, and select 'Dock Preferences' - go to 'Applets' tab and if you look at the 'replicant' panel at the bottom of that tab (it replicates your panel layout) indicator 3 applet is a blue circle with an 'i' in it. Highlight it then click on the 'up' arrow above the replicant panel to remove. I had some 'backport' /repo issues that I managed to rectify, did some upgrading and then from synaptic, searched for 'clock' and lo and behold got the digital clock back with calendar! Yay! :D So when you have synaptic open just do a search for 'awn' and see what applets come back at you! :D (To get to synaptic, just type it in the Win7 type search bar in the menu - you will need to authenticate with your logon to get it to run!

botcrusher

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:52:41 pm

Will do this once... erm you know I can see again XD

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:44:54 pm

botcrusher wrote:Will do this once... erm you know I can see again XD

:lol: :lol: :lol: With you on that one! :D

AnotherLife

Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:11:34 pm

My indicator 3 applet is almost always white when I boot into Zorin 8 (in a virtualbox vm). I go into preferences, remove it and readd it and it usually fixes it until next boot. Does it have to do with Virtualbox's flaky 3D acceleration support ?

I ran the Synaptic package manager and it shows I don't have some appmenu package and another one for Banshee support. I'm not missing any updates am I ?

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:57:59 pm

No you are not missing anything, but you could do with missing indicator-3 applet - it is totally non-changeable - whit it is, and white it shall always be - that is why I now have this (at long last! :D ):

42.png

AnotherLife

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:13:49 pm

Is that another applet to use in place of Indicator 3 ? How is it called ?

(The color isn't the problem, it's that it doesn't load properly and shows white.)

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:22:19 pm

Hi, I will try and take a screenshot of my synaptic with avant in the search box so you can see what I have installed.

Easier yet, open synaptic and search for 'awn-applet' - check mark the ones you want and they will show up here:

Screenshot awn applets.png

then just remove indicator-applet-3 - it's been a pain since the release of Zorin - I don't know why they continue with it! ;)

AnotherLife

Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:36:39 pm

I know how to remove it, but I then I need to replace it with something else that shows those Ubuntu notifications,network settings, language selection, volume control, logout, clock ....

I have all the applets that Synaptic shows me. In the AWN applets preferences I counted 31 applets.

Recap: Indicator 3 is awesome, but sometimes at boot it doesn't load properly and stays white with no icons.

Wolfman

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:14:42 pm

Hi,

please see the post install guide and this section:

More info about the AWN panel (Avant Window Manger)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:29:12 pm

Thanks Wolfman, tried to reply but my Opera is sticking a bit tonight - been fine all day! :D