This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing Nvidia drivers causing black screen

botcrusher

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:11:10 pm

Hello,
I just followed the steps on installing nvidia drivers using the post installation guide, and erm... Upon have completed the nessesary steps in recovery mode, I reboot to find that well... nothing just a black screen

Here's my setup for you:
Nvidia GeForce GT 620 (OEM)
Intel i5-3330
8Gb DDR-3 1333
200Gb seagate HDD
Zorin OS 8 core

Considering the same steps have worked on a different machine I'm going to point the finger at the gpu, since the install worked perfectly on a GT 610
Also note that I do not get [no signal] rather the screen is just black, it would appear the system is other wise behaving normally as after some time i do get [no signal] then a simple shake of the mouse wakes it back up, to a black screen...

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:37:04 pm

I have the same card - when I followed Wolfman's guide got the same issue with 'low graphics mode' and needed a reinstall - better sticking with the GNU/Linux drivers than nvidia proprietary - have a search for Linus Torvalds view on nVidia - I'm with him all the way on that one! :lol:

Try this if you get to see GRUB menu:

Press the TAB key and enter:

Code:
forcevesa nolapic acip=off nomodeset

Keep us posted! :D

botcrusher

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:43:42 pm

Oh nice! Alright thanks! It's just that the gallium drivers have been erm.. Slow on OpenGL 3d performance
I can push 150 Fps on minecraft with optifine on windows, but optifine on here let's me push about 30-40 sometimes as low as 15 for larger scale combat.
Oh and yes I do get the grub menu
Edit: uh slight issue I get the fancy zorin grub menu :D but pressing tab does not really do anything, I can either select zorin, advanced options for zorin, mem test, mem test + console, or windows 8 loader
At the bottom of the screen I have
Enter boot
E edit selection
C command line

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:43:52 pm

See what happens with Edit selection - if it does not show the boot command line when you do this, try Command line

Wolfman

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:45:08 pm

botcrusher

Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:07:25 am

Thing is, hitting edit selection causes the system to lock up
When I get the chance I'll run the nvidia removal commands, but I'm out of town for a few days, spreading zorin onto a different machine. Mainly a pentium 4 HT running off a freakin usb stick.

Anonymous

Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:29:31 am

botcrusher > The Nvidia 331.00 driver will cause the exact type problems and more... that both you and Swarfendor have been talking about.
I've found it to be a fact that the Nvidia 319.00 driver worked best for the newer Nvidia cards.
And the Nvidia 304.00 worked better towards the older graphics cards.
Still works fairly well for quite a few newer Nvidia Cards. [ Different results for different folks ]

botcrusher

Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:34:16 am

Oh alright thanks!
I'll be sure to switch to that driver when I get back to that machine

Anonymous

Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:40:32 am

botcrusher wrote:Oh alright thanks!
I'll be sure to switch to that driver when I get back to that machine

Cool just thought I'd let you know.
Myself and the friends are hard core gamers using Nvidia.
Nvidia is kind of second nature for us.
Take it easy.

Oh ya if you have a grubby boot splash.

Do the > : sudo apt-get install grub

: sudo update-grub

That will get rid of the grubby boot splash.
By removing that grub2 garbage.
That will cure the problem.

botcrusher

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:23:21 pm

Alright then you may want to show on the compat list that The OEM cards are different from spec and are not supported, I'm back home and rebooting now, hopefully I'll make this post from zorin.

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:27:07 pm

Does the black box appear just before GRUB disappears and the glowing Z starts? I still have this even after removing the nvidia driver but not on the desktop.

botcrusher

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:07:42 am

Originally I could see the whole boot cycle, then when I installed the driver I saw nothing. Now with the older driver, I can't see the glowing zorin logo but I do get a desktop! (And grub)

Wolfman

Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:28:49 am

Hi,

I did an update of the Nvidia guide thingy and all the cards are listed by driver number, please scroll slowly through all of them as your driver may appear in more than one list!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

If push comes to shove, use the opensource drivers and see how your PC performs!. :D