This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Moving over from Microsoft

Bootneck02

Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:04:02 pm

:D Hi I am new to the Zorin Fourum, at the moment I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and have got fed up with Windows and the things one has to buy to make safe the OS and all the extras you have to buy to make it useful. I have been researching Linux distros and even dual booted Linux Mint Cinnamon 64 bit but after a short while it went pear shaped the dual booting I mean. After that experience I have been a little shy of attempting it again. After some research I have been looking at Zorin Ultimate 64 bit which seems to come with all the bells and whistles. Now comes the questions, I have some where about 250 gig of music can I transfer that over to Zorin or will I have to redownload the lot again? the same with pictures and video's will I be able to transfer them via a external drive? Well I think that is as much I need to ask at the moment, Thanks for any comments and advice.

Wolfman

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:23:13 am

Hi,

basically you can copy things directly over from Windows if you are dual booting and won't need to do anything, this is working on the assumption that the files you are moving don't require any exotic software that isn't available under Linux to function.

If it is, please look at Wine to run Windows apps under Linux:

http://appdb.winehq.org/

Make a backup copy of ALL your windows files before you start!.

You can copy any files from an external drive to Linux no problem!.

Bootneck02

Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:01:44 pm

Thanks Wolfman

Wolfman

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:46:22 pm

Hi,

I forgot to mention that you can access the Windows partitions directly from Linux and copy & paste or drag & drop files over!.

Have marked as solved!. :D