This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to add a new item to the Zorin Menu

williepabon

Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:33:00 pm

Hi:
I recently installed Zorin 8 on one of my laptops and am enjoying it. Took me some time to understand how to install Windows S/W using PlayOnLinux, 'cause the GUI is not very intuitive. Finally, I was able to install MS Office 2007 and is working as expected. My main office program is LibreOffice, so I moved the MSOffice desktop icons to a folder I created, and put on my desktop LibreOffice icons. Now, I want to see the folder with MSOffice icons in the Zorin Menu, so that I would be able to open MSOffice apps from the menu, as you do in Windows. How do I do this? Thanks.

Wolfman

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:03:35 am

Hi,

anything installed by Wine is in a sub folder of Wine in the main menu, basically open Zorin Menu > Wine > and look there:

Menu_021.jpg

If you want add any other menu options, open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste the following terminal command:

Code:
alacarte

and then you can edit your main menu!.

Main Menu_004.jpg

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:41:25 pm

Hi Wolfman, How did you do that? I can't edit the menus at all in 8! I don't have 'Edit' - did you install 'alacarte'? I can't obtain that! ;)

Wolfman

Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:57:04 pm

Hi Swarf,

do you have the Canonical repo's active in your software sources list?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

williepabon

Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:45:37 pm

Wolfman:
While installing alacarte from the terminal, I get the following:

william@Raquel-ThinkPad-SL400:~$ alacarte
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "libunity-gtk-module.so"

** (alacarte:29635): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css' does not exist

** (alacarte:29635): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css' does not exist

(alacarte:29635): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_accel_label_set_accel_closure: assertion 'gtk_accel_group_from_accel_closure (accel_closure) != NULL' failed

(alacarte:29635): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_accel_label_set_accel_closure: assertion 'gtk_accel_group_from_accel_closure (accel_closure) != NULL' failed
william@Raquel-ThinkPad-SL400:~$

So, the app didn't run as expected. Any suggestions? Thanks

Wolfman

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:30:25 pm

Hi,

you need to make sure that alacarte is installed, open Synaptic and type "alacarte" in search and check and see if it is installed!.

To install directly via a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t):

Code:
sudo apt-get install alacarte

to run it via a terminal:

Code:
alacarte

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:51:22 pm

HI Wolfman, I think something might have gone amiss lately so just checked all my Update Settings on the first tab and checked them all and now I get updates and this one is very interesting!!!:

attachment=0]17.png[/attachment]

Wolfman

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:54:45 pm

Hi Swarf,

are your software download locations set to "Main"?. :D

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:18:36 pm

Yes they are and I can now install (have installed) alacarte and pinned it to the AWN Panel - my screenshot is showing a naughty - update deja dup for Ubuntu One compatibility! Better warn users about that too in your closure notification - just in case they did not check backup settings! :D

williepabon

Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:04:43 pm

Wolfman:
Thanks for the info. Now, I was able to install alacarte, but there is a problem. I am not able to create a new menu. When I try, nothing happens. Is this a bug on the app? Is there a workaround? Thanks again for your help.
wp

Wolfman

Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:02:28 am

Hi WP,

yes!, it appears to be a bug!:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1241272

Sorry but I cannot help you any further there!. :(

@Swarf, what is the problem with Deja Dup?, Ubuntu One is still supported for a while at least!.

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:40:41 am

OK, Deja Dup offers to use Ubuntu One as a backup utility - so if people blithely run it with this running in the background and forget when July comes around .... :mrgreen:

williepabon

Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:07:49 am

Wolfman:
Thanks for the info regarding alacarte. The last post in the bug report was dated 2013-11-01. Since then, nothing has changed. I suppose, you have to live with the bug or change to a different desktop app.

wp

Wolfman

Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:37:17 am

Hi WP,

can we close this thread then as I don't think there is a solution for the problem?. :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:56:01 am

Hi I am getting the same issue too - can't create a new menu OR a new menu item! :cry: