This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] How to

Bootneck02

Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:58:43 pm

I am investigating a new OS to Windows and have come across Zorin OS and have a few questions to ask.
1) Is it worth waiting for the new LTS due later this year rather downloading the existing one.
2)Where can I purchase a CD for downloading.
3) what about drivers for my home built PC and Epson XP-305 printer.
4)How will be able to transfer my Music 140 gb, pictures & word docks to the new OS. I have an external drive which is used for backup.
5)I have 2 PC in the house mine and the wife's which is running Windows 7 Home premium 32 bit which the printer is connected to will there be any problems there?
I have no intension to dual boot just a straight forward installation

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:01:22 pm

Hi and welcome to Zorin! :D

OK, you have two choices, one is to wait for the new LTS or install the current LTS (Zorin 6 - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6180) - but it will mean a manual install of the new LTS - at the end of the day, the decision has to rest with you friend!

2. You can purchase the DVD which will be sent to you through the post or make a donation to download a 7-Zip file which contains the .iso to burn or make a donation to download the ultimate one - if you want one at no cost then download the DVD iso that are 'Core' versions from that first link I gave you. Zorin 8 from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/zorin-o ... source=dlp

3. Mine is a home brew and no difficulties, just depends on specification so more information would be helpful! As for printing you might want to look at Zorin 6 LTS as just found this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/217717/e ... homexp-305

4. just back up all your data to the external drive and then copy across into the relevant folders inside your home directory:

18.jpg

5. How is the printer connected, is it wireless (see askubuntu post above which indicates it is) - not sure how well it will connect as Windows Home versions were never brilliant in respect of networking!

Hope the above helps!

Bootneck02

Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:58:33 pm

Thank you for your help Swarfendor437

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:10:48 pm

No problemo! :D