This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Hard drive mounting problem

emtsmith99

Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:17:55 pm

Hello. I am having trouble periodically with my hard drives mounting. couple of problems....
1. sometimes when i plug in an external hard drive, it will not mount it. then other times it will.
2 i have several hard drives mounted inside the computer, but if i shutdown the computer and bring it back up, Zorin will not mount the hard drives other than the one the system is loaded on.

can anyone help! i am a newbie and trying to figure this stuff out. thanks for any help!

emtsmith99

Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:20:56 pm

also, if i shutdown several different times, it may or may not show up again. The computer i am using is a new build. all hard drives were recognized fine at first and now not so much. There are three internal hard drive:
1. 1tb with zorin loaded on it
2. 1tb
3. 2tb
4. external 2tb

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:10:19 pm

i don't know about 'cumulative' Terabyte totals, but no GNU/Linux system can see beyond 2 TB! ;)

Wolfman

Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:04:35 pm

Hi,

open dconf editor and check these settings:

Stop/Start Media Auto Mounting:
Dconf Editor > Org > Gnome > Desktop > Media-Handling > Automount/Automount-open/Autorun Never

If it isn't installed, open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install dconf-tools

emtsmith99

Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:39:29 pm

Wolfman,
thanks for trying to help me! I have checked the automount autmount/open and autorun never. all are checked except autorun never. no changes in my computer running as of yet. still will not currently show this hard drive. i havent formatted it since i started using it. it was connecting fine to both the zorin and windows based computers. now it will only connect to the windows based computer. any further help?

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:27:55 pm

What version of Windows is it?

Wolfman

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:11:30 am

Hi,

further to Swarfs question, what format did you use as you said you tried formatting the dirve?. If you are sharing between Windows, you should be using FAT32 or NTFS, I believe that FAT32 is the first choice!.

Can you paste a screenshot of your partition layout please?.

emtsmith99

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:36:27 am

I havent done any formatting. It is straight out of the box to use! Im currently using windows 8 however it was also connected to windows 7 fine as well. There are no partitions. i have looked and it is fat32 format.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:11:48 am

Hi,

can you post a screenshot of your partition layout, you said there isn't one but that cannot be true, your Windows set-up will have at least a boot manager partition and one for your installed version of Windows!

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:05:30 am

Plus your BIOS settings need to be set to Legacy mode, not UEFI:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6500