This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Advice Required

Bootneck02

Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:47:08 pm

:D Hi I have ordered the Zorin 64bit ultimate distro, but have not taken delivery yet of the DVD. At the moment I am running W7 Ultimate 64 bit what do you recommend I do, Do I reformat the C drive and complete a fresh install of Zorin or do I dual boot. The reason I ask is I tried Mint and after I had made the dual partition 50% for windows and 50 % for mint on a 2 TB c drive. After installation was complete I found the partition had moved Leaving Mint with about 1gb of wriggle room for Mint and any downloads. Is this a Microsoft ploy to limit what we download on our PC's or is it a fault with my PC, by the way I couldn't get on with Mint as I couldn't understand what I was doing and strange words like gimp, distro etc as I am only a self taught Windows retired man who has got fed up with not only paying for operating systems that cost the earth and paying for through the nose for any extra's like cleaning tools, defragers etc etc. Having researched your product it would seem to me it is time to change. Thank you in advance for any advice that you can give me, I have no doubt there will be many questions in the future. Once thanks for any help you can give me. ;)

david7307

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:23:12 am

Never had this trouble my self with dual booting, but i would leave win7 on if you can you will still need it or some things that linux cant do at present

Wolfman

Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:45:24 am

Hi,

ditto what David said and here is a partition guide wot i rote which describes how to setup your partitions for dual booting among other things:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Hope it helps. :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:10:08 am

I based my tutorial on how I always used to do mine (now use separate drives as it is a lot easier! :D )

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6075