This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Windows Key Opening Menu

Ghelthon

Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:10:48 pm

Hi there guys!

First of all, let me clearly say that Zorin OS is amazing. I just moved from Windows 8.1, as my laptop is getting old and, while I don't buy more RAM power, I decided to format and stick with a light OS - Zorin fits my needs in an amazing manner.

I've been tweaking some things to make it fit my taste a little better, and there's something that I can't seem to achieve: getting the Windows key to open Zorin's App Menu, like it happens on Windows (Start Menu). I've tried almost everything I found online, but all the solutions available do not seem to work on Zorin OS 8 Lite (my version).

Bottomline: what do I need to do in order to get this working? Am I missing something here or is it just "impossible" to achieve here on Zorin OS? And if so, can't that be fixed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:26:32 pm

Hi, I don't know if Cairo-dock is installable on Light but if you can, do that then install GnoMenu - which is what I did in Zorin 8 RC Core:

https://vimeo.com/85050945

http://vimeo.com/56632883

Ghelthon

Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:27:01 pm

Thank you, but I was actually hoping to keep the default dock. ;)

Wolfman

Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:29:47 pm

Hi,

that isn't possible at the moment, I asked the devs and they will try and incorporate it in the next version of Zorin OS!. Sorry!. :(

Ghelthon

Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:33:37 pm

And what about this?

Ghelthon wrote:Isn't it possible to use an external app, like AutoKey, to open the Zorin App Menu? I could try to write a script, I just don't know what's the command for opening the Zorin Menu.

Wolfman

Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:35:35 pm

Hi,

I had never heard of that until now, give it a shot and let us know, I would be interested myself to see if it works!:

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/application ... tokey-gtk/

Ghelthon

Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:38:12 pm

The thing is that I have no idea how to "open" Zorin's menu without actually clicking it.

Wolfman

Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:42:53 pm

Hi,

can you not assign a shortcut key with that app, I thought that is what it is about?.

Ghelthon

Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:47:31 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

can you not assign a shortcut key with that app, I thought that is what it is about?.

The app is to write scripts to perform certain tasks. Theoretically, you can write a script so that, when you press the Windows key ("Super_L"), the action of "opening Zorin's menu" is triggered.

The problem is that I have absolutely no clue on how to put "opening Zorin's menu" into the script.

Wolfman

Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:00:31 pm

Hi,

I just had to move to Zorin Lite and install the app, I see what you mean. Like I said before, the devs intend (no promises) to write a script for exactly what you want but I don't know what (if any) the script is now!. Sorry!. :(

Ghelthon

Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:04:15 pm

That's "sad", because it seems something rather easy for devs to implement.

Wolfman

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:25:55 pm

Let's wait and see what the devs do in Zorin 9!. :D