This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Thunderbird address book + Chrome bookmarks

ambodach

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:01:40 pm

XP worked on my PC after its official demise, and then developed some glitch and got so far with loading and then stuck. No bug could be found and I decided to go down the Linux route via Zorin 8 with a dual boot so that I could go back if desperate and see if I could sort the XP os.

So far I'm quite happy.

I've extracted the two Thunderbird address files from the XP system to the Zoriin desktop - what do I do with them then, please ?

Chrome bookmarks in XP are eluding me at the moment. The one thing I can't work out is how the file search system works in Zorin - can someone help me on that too please. And then once I've found "bookmarks.htm" where does that go ?

Thanks
Rob

Wolfman

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:37:18 pm

Hi,

please see this link:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7022

The same really applies to Chrome, you need to simply replace the bookmarks file in Google Chrome assuming you saved such a file, you just open the settings menu in Chrome and replace the bookmarks folder with your copy!.

The search function on the forum sucks, if you use too few words, it throws you out, general words are also a no-go and too many words leads to an overflow of results!. Sorry but I cannot help you there!.

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:39:39 pm

Hi and welcome to Zorin! :D

Your Thunderbird issue has already been addressed in another post:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7021&p=33231&hilit=Thunderbird#p33231

As for Chrome I am not sure:

http://www.wikihow.com/Export-Bookmarks-from-Chrome

I guess there is someway of importing the html flle in Zorin Chrome but not sure! :D

(Pipped at the post by Wolfman! :mrgreen: )

ambodach

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:24:25 pm

Sorry guys - that's not really the answer I'm looking for. I've got two files from my defunct XP system "abook.mab" which is the main address list, and "history.mab" which is an important collection of specific addresses. These I've copied from the Thunderbird Profile area in XP and placed on the Desktop here.

Now I need to locate these two files in the Zorin Thunderbird system and replace them with these two on the Desktop.

And similar with Chrome to get the bookmarks.

My problem with understanding the Linux system is that if I go to Zorin Menu and open Computer I see the various drives and files that existed in the XP system, but no Linux files, and therefore I am unable to transfer these address book files. This is a "ball-breaker" requirement; if I can't move these address files into Thunderbird in Zorin then I'm going to have to ditch it and head off to Windows 7.

The question about the Search facility was with respect to that associated with this 'Computer' screen - there is a search option there but I cannot get it to work.

Here's hoping this isn't really a problem

Rob

ambodach

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:12:45 pm

Ahhh .... if I go to drive called "Computer", do the CTRL + h, then all becomes clear. Further the Search option now obliges.

So I'm OK, and have the important addresses all in place. It's just a case of being persistent and getting there in due course. And of course discovering things along the way ! I'm now just that bit more knowledgeable, and should be able to sort out my Bookmarks now too.

Thanks for trying, guys - maybe I was just approaching the task in my own way of doing things !!

Rob

Wolfman

Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:51:08 am

Hi Rob,

so can we basically mark this as solved?. :D

Happy Easter. :D