This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] What Do I Need to Know

Bootneck02

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:56:08 pm

Hi I am new to all this :o I am a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit user got fed up with the corporate thing and all the add on's that cost £££ now that I am a pensioner (old Git) and came across Zorin in a web search so have been reading the reviews, liked what I saw and decided to donate to Zorin for a DVD for the 64 bit version of Ultimate that was on Saturday so I expect to receive next week sometime. Is there I should know before I download it, do you think I should Dual boot or do a clean install and jump in at the deep end :?: I wish that Zorin was advertised more because of the Window **** ups I would a large percentage of domestic :D Window users would move over to Zorin, I think Microsoft have lost their way greedy b***ers. also on main stream Linux web pages there is little about Zorin :idea:

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:11:12 pm

Hi, and welcome to Zorini! :D While you are waiting you might want to download the 8.1 Core version from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/zorin-os/files/8/

Follow the advice on checking the md5sum and how to burn here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6180

and tutorial video here:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v28335038JpeNGXzP

After you have burned your DVD, change your computer's boot order to boot from DVD (Bios will still report CD even though DVD Roms been out for ages!) and try it 'live' - it will only use your computer's memory, and will NOT install anything! :D

If you want to dual-boot follow my guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6075

Wolfman

Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:58:36 am

Hi,

further to Swarf's suggestions, make sure that you boot as a Live CD first and check that you have sound; internet and that your graphics are okay before commiting to a full install!.

Make sure that you know which type of PC you have, if it is an older PC, it is most likely 32 bit, or it might be 64 bit if it is really old, Zorin 8 may not work on it and you would need the Lite version which doesn't have an Ultimate version as of yet!.

(A 32 bit version of Zorin OS 8 will still run on a 64 bit PC but not vice versa)

Happy Easter. :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:19:13 pm

Hi Wolfman, he states in his OP he is currently running Windows 7 65-bit! ;)