This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Recognising an SD card

Bloggsworth

Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:02:04 pm

I recently, after a few hiccups, installed Zorin 8 on an Advent which had been running XP. When running XP the SD card slot was fully functional, but not now. How do I persuade Zorin to go and look for hardware like card slots. I also intalled Zorin on a Toshiba Equiium and experienced no problem with the card slot. With the Advent the USB slots seem to be OK, the SD card is read when in a USB card reader.

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:23:35 pm

Would depend on manufacturer and model - I have found this link:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/971876

Wolfman

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:32:17 am

Hi,

have you tried booting with an SD card inserted so it (mounts the drive) loads with the system so to speak?. :D

Bloggsworth

Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:15:28 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

have you tried booting with an SD card inserted so it (mounts the drive) loads with the system so to speak?. :D

Tried that - Didn't work. I assume it's a Realtek, but I don't know.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:47:04 pm

Just to let you know I have a tower (CoolerMaster) with an SD Card slot in it and while there is no card in it the 'Places/Computer' window shows up as 'generic storage' - does it show up at all like that on the advent?

Without:

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:47:48 pm

Just to let you know I have a tower (CoolerMaster) with an SD Card slot in it and while there is no card in it the 'Places/Computer' window shows up as 'generic storage' - does it show up at all like that on the advent?

Without:

23.png

With:

48.png

Bloggsworth

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:21:45 pm

No, the external HD shows up, but that's a USB connection.

Wolfman

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:15:29 am

Is the card formatted to FAT32 ?. :D

Bloggsworth

Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:50:56 pm

Wolfman wrote:Is the card formatted to FAT32 ?. :D

No - NTFS or I couldn't read it with my Apple. It seems to be computer dependent, like the toleration of Kingsoft - Same Zorin OS, two results. I'm not savvy enough to interrogate the hardware and write a patch. I think the problem is likely to lie with the Advent, it is Dixon's own brand, and likely to have been sourced from the cheapest suppliers and tailored to run under Windows XP, I doubt those who wrote the spec said "Hey chaps! Don't forget that someone 7 years hence may want to convert to Linux..."

My neighbour will be happy if she can practice versions of Word and Excel, and print the odd page. Talking of which, her router seems to randomly change its IP address; when I set it up it ended 064, yesterday it ended 071 and wouldn't print, so I had to reinstall the printer.

Wolfman

Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:32:40 pm

Did you have the card in another PC and did you "Remove it safely" (unmount it)?.

Bloggsworth

Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:11:31 pm

Wolfman wrote:Did you have the card in another PC and did you "Remove it safely" (unmount it)?.

Yes, I have used it several times since as her Windows Vista machine was so fouled up I had to do a full reinstall for her, so I saved her photos etc., and used the card to reinstall them. I have used it on this Lenovo since then to transfer files to my Toshiba running Zorin,, so its not the card. As there is no equivalent of Device Manager, I can't go and look for yellow triangles!

Wolfman

Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:37:43 pm

Insert the card and boot your PC and then open Gparted and look in the top right corner and see if the device is listed there!.
-dev-sda - GParted_005.jpg

Also, another thought, if you can move the data off of the card onto a different PC and then format the card to FAT32 and see if it can be read on the problem PC, you can always reformat it and copy the data back to it afterwards!.