This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Where is the Desktop actually located

Acer DeVille

Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:58:58 pm

I know that you can navigate to /home/(usr)/Desktop, however as you probably know, placing something in this folder doesn't actually put something on the desktop. I'm trying to add an icon to the desktop, and I drag it out of usr/share/applications onto the desktop, it slides back into the file manager, gets added to /home/(usr)/desktop, but not to the actual desktop. If you are on the actual desktop, and right-click on the /Home/ folder, and then properties the location information says {ON THE DESKTOP}, but you can't search for on the desktop it's not a valid location. How do I do this?

I know I always have some of the most noob questions, I'm not learning Linux very easy. I don't usually do crazy things with my OS, but every once in a while, I do something more than the average user, but not often enough to really learn what I'm doing. Thanks for all the help.

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:25:27 pm

Strange, tried that both ways with Brasero and no issues apart from a permissions warning when copying to Desktop 'proper' - got the old piece of paper - just changed permissions to allow execute as program and no issue. Deleted Brasero icon on Desktop, copied Brasero icon from usr/share/applications into /home/swarfendor437/Desktop and icon appeared instantly on Desktop proper also! :shock:

Wolfman

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:07:25 am

Hi,

open home > computer (or file) > usr > share > applications and mark any app icon with a right click and "Copy To" > "Desktop" > done!. To do more than one icon at a time, press and hold down the Ctrl key and then right click > copy to.

Acer DeVille

Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:12:53 pm

@ Swarfendor437 I don't have a setting somewhere correct, it will be one of those things that is so simple that I'll never think to check it.

@ Wolfman, thanks that makes sense that it would work, as I said earlier, things that I should be able to put 2 and 2 together, it just doesn't click yet.

Sorry for the delay in responding, had a little sickness get in the way.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:33:45 am

Hi AD,

I hope you are better now!. :D

Can we mark this as solved?.

Putting icons on the desktop in the new Gnome is a pain, same goes for Unity!. The method I described above works for all!. The Normal Zorin Windows 7 DE can still use the right mouse and add to desktop thankfully!. :D

Acer DeVille

Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:16:54 pm

Yes please mark this solved.