This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Two problems on two installs

JohnDel

Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:35:47 pm

I've just installed Zorin 8.0 on two different PCs: One is a desktop with a 3.0 ghz Pentium IV, the other a dual core Centrino lap top. Both are dual boot installs that have Windows XP Pro as well.

1)Something odd is up with the Pent IV machine. It is running far slower than windows, and things are really dragging with nothing running. The pointer moves fine, but typed words take a second or so before they are on the screen, and the information windows take 3 to 5 seconds to open and close. Switching between windows takes 5 seconds. If I open the system monitor feature, the histograph for resources show CPU 1 and 2 running between 70 and 90 %. Strangely, if I look at processes in System Monitor, then go back to resources, the histophraph shows that the CPUs had dropped to about 10% during the time I was looking at processes, but then jumps back up to 90% when I look at resources. My processor fan is also running at full speed, something it does when runnng too many things in Windows.

2)The laptop runs smoothly and quickly, but I cannot log on as anything other than guest. I've tried clicking on guest, then clicking on my name as it appears to switch users, but it always switches back to guest. I've tried logging out and back in as me, but it always goes back to guest. Needless to say, I can't do anything as a guest.

I've searched this forum and have seen others have trouble with logging on as administrator, and I've followed the advice, but can't log on as anything other than guest on the laptop. I have no trouble logging on the desktop, just to the laptop.

Any advice or insight appreciated.

Wolfman

Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:53:48 am

Hi,

at the login sscreen; simply press the arrow key(s) and your normal user name should show up in the login screen.

Run this update terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t) on both rigs and see if this fixes the lagging problem and restart both rigs after doing so:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

What graphics cards do you have?. Paste this terminal command and post the fedback for both rigs here please:

Code:
lspci

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

JohnDel

Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:00:58 pm

The two machines are in different locations, so I'll have to do this one by one..

On the laptop login issue, I was able to get into my administration login, but I don't remember how I got there. But now when starting Zorin, I can get in as administrator every time, so that problem is solved. My only problem left is that it is having a tough time getting and staying on the internet with my Alfa AWUS036 external adapter (needed for a longish run to my wireless router). Do I use wine to load the software that came on the Alfa disc?

On the Pent IV (laggy), I followed the first command you posted, rebooted, and nothing changed: still laggy. Following the second command, I came up with Radeon 9200 SE for my video card. Here is the full information for the second command:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82875P/E7210 Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82875P Processor to AGP Controller (rev 02)
00:03.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82875P/E7210 Processor to PCI to CSA Bridge (rev 02)
00:06.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82875P/E7210 Processor to I/O Memory Interface (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV280 [Radeon 9200 SE] (rev 01)
02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82547EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
03:01.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 03)
03:01.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy Game Port (rev 03)

The odd thing with this machine is that system monitor > resources is showing both CPUs running above 80 percent with no processes running save for the system monitor itself.

I appreciate the time and advice.

John

Wolfman

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:19:11 pm

Hi John,

take a look here but be careful what you do:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6951

I don't have any time right now for a long post!. :(

JohnDel

Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:48:50 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi John,

take a look here but be careful what you do:

Well, I done smote this thing good. Fortunately, I'm still in the dual boot mode, so I can log back onto XP to post this...

After I followed the instructions (no guarantee I made no errors) and typed in fglrxinfo I got a message that said: No Supported Adapters Detected. After reboot, I get a message that gives me many options including booting with reduced graphics, and several ways to fix it or log on with reduced graphics. There is no way I can make any changes to repair the video graphic problem, and if I allow to go to full boot from the blue login window, the screen goes totally black. I cannot open a terminal as there are no graphics at all. I've tried the repair option, and I'm still running into dead ends. Should I wipe out my install and try again? Thanks.

John

Wolfman

Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:32:29 am

Hi John,

which of the drivers did you install and did you try removing them after install?, did you follow this part of my previous post?:

If you have a problem after installing the fglrx package, you must remove it with the following command again in a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx-amdcccle

Also do this command if the one above doesn't work for some reason:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx-updates fglrx-amdcccle-updates

Then reinstall the mesa drivers:

Code:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core

Then:

Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and restart your PC again.

You can do the removal command in recovery mode by starting your PC in recovery mode and firstly activating "Network" (a network cable is required!) and then go to "root" and type the removal commands as written above, restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del!. Do not click on resume!.

If the above is too hard for you, a re-install might be quicker and easier for you!. Feel free to post back with any further questions. :D

JohnDel

Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:49:59 pm

Thanks Wolfman.

I followed your instructions, and I'm back to exactly where I was before I screwed it up. Unfortunately, it's still running like it's running in heavy syrup. Is this a video card or other hardware issue? The only time I'm having a problem with XP is if I'm trying to watch two videos (like youtube in two or more Firefox tabs) at the same time, but even then, windows open and close without delay.

John

Wolfman

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:42:07 pm

Hi John,

did you use a disk to do the installs and did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Seems strange that both rigs are playing up and I suspect that you have a bad burn?. :D

You would need to reburn the disk again at the sloest possible speed and do a complete new install (on both PC's).

JohnDel

Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:50:13 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi John,

did you use a disk to do the installs and did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

No, I just burned the DVD at the default speed of the drive. And I believe the trouble I had when I followed your instructions the first time is that I was not connected with an ethernet when I was in terminal, so Zorin couldn't find the files to update.

Seems strange that both rigs are playing up and I suspect that you have a bad burn?. :D

Both computers have issues when running Zorin, but they're different issues. The desktop runs normally, just slooooooooooooooooooow. It gets and stays on the internet.

The laptop runs quickly and cleanly, but it seems to have a problem acquiring, then staying on the internet. (I was going to address this on a different thread). While it will at some point get on the web, it constantly asks for the wireless router key. Once on, it loads pages slowly, then will disconnect from the internet giving me a error of lost connection, then at some point reacquire. This is also an XP Pro machine that has no trouble using my wireless Alfa adapter when booted into XP.

I can certainly re-burn another DVD if you think that'll help. If you can also point me to a link for removing Zorin I'd appreciate it. Again, thanks for all your help.

John

Wolfman

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:48:44 am

Hi John,

if you burned the disks at the default speed, it has most likely corrupted the ISO image and this is why you are having problems, no amount of repair work will get the PC's working correctly again!.

Reburn AT THE SLOWEST POSSIBLE SPEED!.

If you have data on the drives, you can do a new install but keep said data by following this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Or do you mean to get rid of Zorin completely?. See the part about removing Linux here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601