This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

ownCloud and setting up a router

Zorinator

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:50:38 pm

I retired from a career in financial management and auditing in 2000, before either Linux or wireless networks became well-known in my region. So here I am, armed with 30+ years of experience also in IT as I doubled as the "in-house computer boffin" even though I have no formal training as such. My skills as a user could possibly be called "advanced" in the world of Windows but Linux is still a steep learning curve. At least I can hack around in a root terminal usually without breaking my system, but here I am out of my depth.

My router is at my son's office at the moment so I have to figure this out in my mind for now. My objective is to sync PIM organiser data between my Linux computer and my Android phone.

1. I can go out and buy any wireless router, as long as it offers the required functionality. How do I know which router to buy?

2. My computer runs ZorinOS 7 32-BIT which is a build upon Ubuntu and it is up to date. I have EvolutionPIM on there with syncEvolution as sync interface. I mainly use Thunderbird with Lightning calendar because Evolution crashes when its Calendar is being used.

3. My phone is a Huawei Y300 Ascend with Android 4.1.1 9 Jelly Bean)

4. Presently, I sync via Google and I am not happy with that.

How do I go about this?

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:28:47 pm

Zorinator wrote:I retired from a career in financial management and auditing in 2000, before either Linux or wireless networks became well-known in my region. So here I am, armed with 30+ years of experience also in IT as I doubled as the "in-house computer boffin" even though I have no formal training as such. My skills as a user could possibly be called "advanced" in the world of Windows but Linux is still a steep learning curve. At least I can hack around in a root terminal usually without breaking my system, but here I am out of my depth.

My router is at my son's office at the moment so I have to figure this out in my mind for now. My objective is to sync PIM organiser data between my Linux computer and my Android phone.

1. I can go out and buy any wireless router, as long as it offers the required functionality. How do I know which router to buy?

Where is the router going to be situated? Is this going to be at home and you want to connect remotely from your phone to your home computer?

2. My computer runs ZorinOS 7 32-BIT which is a build upon Ubuntu and it is up to date. I have EvolutionPIM on there with syncEvolution as sync interface. I mainly use Thunderbird with Lightning calendar because Evolution crashes when its Calendar is being used.

Sorry friend but ZorinOS 7 has reached its end of life-cycle, you need to be on 8 which finishes in June/July of this year in line with Ubuntu 13.10, Zorin OS 7 was built on 13.04 which ended its support cycle at end of January.

3. My phone is a Huawei Y300 Ascend with Android 4.1.1 9 Jelly Bean)

I'm sorry but I don't have a smart phone but I do hear snippets of information about them - I would make sure that your Android is up-to-date with the 'heartbleed bug'

4. Presently, I sync via Google and I am not happy with that.

Please be patiend when hopefully a smartphone user/moderator can advise! :D

How do I go about this?

Zorinator

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:34:07 pm

The router will most likely be a stationary unit at home, between smartphone and computer. Home is where sync will take place. Not over the phone as it will be too costly.

Alternatively, a portable wireless router so that my entire little wireless network is portable.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:42:32 am

Zorinator

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:46:48 am

madvinegar

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:21:19 am

Do you consider any cloud service? I.e. dropbox or copy.com etc?