This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Attempt At Starting Zorin Failed

JDLinux

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:55:02 pm

Greetings, Zorin Family

I was making some decent progress during my transition from Win XP to Zorin OS 8 from a bootable DVD.
I restarted my PC and as it was booting up, it suddenly stopped the boot progress and I got a flashing cursor.

It stops at this line: [DR-DOS] A:\>

It asks/prompts me for the "Command" or "File Name" which I have no clue about.

I was thrilled to be watching my old Gateway PC respond to an "almost" bootable DVD until it froze.

Did I miss something during the download, installation, or perhaps something that needed changing in the BIOS?

I'm eager to have Zorin OS 8 on my PC and would appreciate a quick solution to my dilemma.

Thank you

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:52:25 pm

Hi and welcome to Zorin! :D

Could you please post back after referring to the following post please plus any unusual software that was installed with your old Gateway machine? Thanks! :D

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

JDLinux

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:08:53 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi and welcome to Zorin! :D

Could you please post back after referring to the following post please plus any unusual software that was installed with your old Gateway machine? Thanks! :D

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

Thanks, will be right back.

JDLinux

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:27:03 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi and welcome to Zorin! :D

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

Ok, I knew I was missing something. Here my PC system specs...

Gateway 504GR
Window XP Home Edition SP3
Intel Pentium 4 - 530
3.00 Ghz
504 MB RAM (Have approx. 392 available)
Supporting Hyper-Threading Tech
Intel 915G Chipset
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
200MB SATA
7200 RPM HD w/ 8MB cache
512 MB DDR
Digital Media Reader

Currently running a Seagate 3T External HDD

I first downloaded the ISO file, then transfered/extracted the files from WinRAR to 7Zip.
From 7Zip, I then opened the Nero Burner and loaded the files to a bootable DVD.

After burning the DVD, I tested the disk and got a "Good to go" confirmation.
I then shut down and re-started my PC and saw the the system booting up until stopped and prompted
me for the "command" "file name". That's when I became clueless and bummed out.

I'm sure I skipped a step or two somewhere. Let me know if you need more details.

Thanks for quick reply.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:40:41 pm

OK, wondering if the external drive is the issue NO GNU/Linux distribution can see anything above 2TB in size! What happens if you disconnect the external drive? :D

JDLinux

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:45:57 pm

As far as unusual software, more recently I downloaded.

FileZilla FTP Client
Microsoft BootVis
MalwareBytes
AdFender
CleanMem
CompuAppsSwissKnife
FolderLock
Softango Downloader
PasswordSafe
Adware Removal Tool
WindiskImager
Amazon Kindle and Cloud Player

Everything else is pretty much the usual stuff.

JDLinux

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:47:29 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, wondering if the external drive is the issue NO GNU/Linux distribution can see anything above 2TB in size! What happens if you disconnect the external drive? :D

Will give it a shot without the ext. drive.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:50:54 pm

The reason why I asked about the software was that DR-DOS that appeared which will have nothing to do with Zorin - thought it might be something to do with recovery partition or similar! ;)

JDLinux

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:36:35 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:The reason why I asked about the software was that DR-DOS that appeared which will have nothing to do with Zorin - thought it might be something to do with recovery partition or similar! ;)

Well, after trying again without the ext. drive I had no luck. I got the same results. Though, now that you mention DR-DOS having no relation to Zorin, I did find it rather odd that a copyright for Caldera DR-DOS 7.03 is what the last line showed before the cursor stops at the end of [DR-DOS] A:\>

That may be the copyright info for the ext. drive. Perhaps, it's trying to re-boot with the Seagate dashboard agent as well?

I'm stumped.

Wolfman

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:47:55 pm

Hi,

did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771