This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Instant crash when booting AE2010 with 8 64-bit

yonnie

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:36:55 pm

If I try Zorin 6 64-bit, the system seems to boot and run fine. When I try the new 8, the system starts to load after grub asks for default and then crashes with an instant poweroff. I suspect it doesn't like the video driver. Is there another version? System is using a Radeon ATI video chip.

This is an MSI AE2010 All in one PC.

Wolfman

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:46:20 pm

Hi,

as crazy as it may sound, try the 32 bit version, the ATI card you have should only use the onboard drivers and I think it will work better as a 32 bit system!. (I use 32 bit on a 64 bit PC myself!)

When you see the Zorin menu, press the tab key and type "nomodeset acpi=off" and then press enter and see if it will boot!.

Did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

yonnie

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:41:11 am

If I use the 32 bit, won't that essentially turn off one of the co-processors?

I was having an issue with trying to get the hdd to read with a live disk. Seems that win8 partitions won't be read via linux or somethings wrong with the drive, even pclos and lm won't read the hdd. Tried a few distro's and they all seem to think I have to mount with the 'ro' mount command... whatever that non-descript message is supposed to mean. Gparted sees 3 partitions with only the third partition having anything on it, weird. I'm presently using win8 to scan it and running various repair softwares to try and fix/recover files.

And no I didn't use the slow burn, I used unetbootin. I did burn a cd iso of the lite version, normally, and it worked on an old p4 laptop that wouldn't boot via a usb thumb-drive.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:06:24 am

Hi,

as long as your PC can be supported by PAE you won't lose any RAM or CPU power!. Like I said; I use 32 Bit on a 64 Bit Pc and it works fine!.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:04:19 am

The clue there was the Windows 8 reference - you can only install GNU/Linux if you have Legacy BIOS enabled (which means you can't boot into Windows 8!

See this pointer here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6500

yonnie

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:01:04 pm

Legacy bios doesn't seem to be a choice in there, I puzzled through the bios and very few options in this AE2010 besides being a real pita at getting into. I stuck another HDD into my tower, installed Z OS8 64-bit and then stuck that in place of the win8 HDD and the system booted up without issues. Ran the updater and now I'm copying files off the win8 drive to stick onto the new OS8 HDD.

I'm curious about a folder called contacts on the win8 HDD. Can that be read by Korganizer or the ThunderBird Address book? I have to admit that I know very little about win8. I find it very duplicitous and confusing to use, looks and feels like one huge advertisement billboard and maximum clutter. In some cases it feels like an android device and quite irritating!

Wolfman

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:27:02 am

Hi,

can you post a screenshot of your partition layout(s) please?. :D

yonnie

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:09:40 am

Screenshot from 2014-04-23 23_53_04.png
here's the gparted screenshot:
Problem seems to be with the live usb and the AE2010. Once the HDD gets installed elsewhere, it works fine so far.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:45:58 am

Hi,

ideally you should have 3 partitions when using Linux, a "swap", "root" and "home", your boot partition is formatted to Ext2 and afaik should be either FAT32 or Ext4?.

Take a look at this partition guide and see if there is something that can help you as I cannot really say much else!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

yonnie

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:02:30 am

I just had zorin automatically install itself. I didn't even pay attention to the gparted info. That's interesting that there's no swap. How does it work that way? This is only a trial install. I'm taking the system over to the clients home to see if she likes how easy it is to use compared to the win8. If she can't learn how to use it, the win8 hdd goes back on after I try more a/v stuff to rid the fleas (the never-ending virus c***).

After re-reading the top post, I just realized I hadn't made it clear that the usb-thumbdrive (live iso) was what crashed after grub. It doesn't doesn't seem to like the AE2010. I have used the same usb drive for several installs including the drive this screen-shot is of, so I don't suspect the usb drive.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:40:45 am

Hi yonnie,

did you fully format the USB stick to FAT32 before you created the bootable live OS?, if there was anything left on it from something else (including "hidden files"), it could lead to problems!.

yonnie

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:36:52 pm

you betcha! I always run gparted and re-format the whole stick to fat32 and then run unetbootin. Been using this procedure for years to test distro's. I ran into this issue with a recent update with PCLOS, something in the repo's concerning an intel video driver not playing well with ATI graphics, caused a hard crash after boot.

Zorin is the first distro I've seen that make's it easy to run some old winxp and earlier apps that I've never been able to get to work before. I have quite a few clients that want various favorite apps and refuse to make the move until they can keep their favorite stuff. Print Artist is a big one and I've been able to get it to install on OS6. I need to test Photoshop yet. I repair old laptops and towers and I help winxp users keep their hardware by putting Linux on their machines, thereby saving them a ton of money.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:22:48 pm

Hi yonnie,

in your case I can really only suggest a new install using the partition guide to help you as I am out of ideas sorry!. :(

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

I always preformat and then do this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

yonnie

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:52:20 am

Wolfman, that's a very nice tutorial on how to partition an HDD. Thanks for the hard work!

Wolfman

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:56:59 am

Why thank you sir and good luck!. :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:50:00 pm

Really can't understand why 'ext2' was used as this would normally only apply to SSD drives! Can you not try the 'something else' method of installation?

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v67233697bJ2bS9jm

yonnie

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:12:05 pm

Last nite I used the method shown in one of the previous replies. HDD being used is a 320gb WD 'blue'. First partition is Swap, 2nd is root, ext4 and 3rd is home, ext4. It seems to work just fine, but so did the automatic install where it made everything ext2 and no swap.

Ok, I think I'll redo this and make it (partition) extended and all LVM like your video. But wouldn't it be faster if swap was at the beginning instead of the end?

Couldn't read some of the video. Looked like you had installed something for multimedia, but I failed to find it on this install.

Is there a 'howto' in this forum that covers what is needed to work well with Zorin that installs all the basics? I'm not sure if I found all the codecs that are going to be needed.
This machine needs to read a: camera, iPhone, iPod, Nook and Kindle. Play: youtube, DVD, CD and other vids. It needs to display and store ebooks. And when they find their Hoyle software, they want to install it (guess aislerot isn't good enough). And print to a wifi Canon printer.

Also, how do I get html links to load and run in FireFox? I told FF that it's the default and uninstalled the Chrome using the browser chooser. Google tracks you and wants you to login/signup. They already know too much, why give them more?

Wolfman

Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:40:58 am

Hi,

all codecs you may possibly need are in the package "ubuntu-restricted-extras" and is also pre-installed in Zorin!.

Install VLC for DVD playback!.

I don't know anything about HTML so please start/look here:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/928599

The best place for Canon drivers is Canon Asia:

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/?personal

yonnie

Mon May 12, 2014 10:05:10 am

Hey thanks for the help again!
Just an FYI-- took the zorin 8.1 edu version out for a drive and it too did the same nonsense (crashed after install) (goofy looking partition with no swap and ext2). Ubuntu 14.04, just installed it, didn't crash but it too has the same automatic partition. & Pinguy, 3 different computers.

Wolfman

Mon May 12, 2014 10:29:47 am

Hi Yonnie,

check out the partitioning guides:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Did you follow this advice when burning the ISO to disk or creating a USB stick?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4771

yonnie

Mon May 12, 2014 5:35:06 pm

The Zorin EDU install, I had done the pre-partitioning and then got confused with the choices presented during the install which resulted in getting a partition with no swap and EXT2 fs. The Ubuntu default installer presented the same visual guides and a very similar partition, ditto for Pinguy. I'm very curious as to how these default installs even work.

Has the new Ubuntu installer or OS come up with a new partition strategy for operation? It does seem to run.

I use Unetbootin to make bootable USB thumbdrives. I haven't figured out how to make a multiple-choice bootable thumbdrive which would be very handy.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 13, 2014 11:34:03 am

Just a comment on the last bit of your last post - I have tried Unetbootin in the past but I much prefer MultiSystem - you need to have a GNU/Linux OS install to run it - it even comes with virtual-box embedded! :D

You can just drag and drop iso's into its interface and if there is a problem it will notify you straight away - I have tried to install utility .iso on unetbootin in the past - it went through the motions as though it was 'installing' to thumb drive but at the end on reboot it would not work!

Get MultiSystem from here:

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload ... 55623.html and install the updates to get all the latest add-ons (virtual box etc)