This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 8.1 Ultimate : enable manual login

tryb3

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:48:32 am

Hi all, i'm bit desperate :

I can't get to enable manual login or hide users or anything by configuring lightdm on my comp. It looks like conf files located in /etc/lightdm are not processed.
I see in the log that lightdm is used and i suspect the login box in ultimate to be wrapped elsewhere (in theme manager ?)
If i switch to gdm, I get all options I need, but lose the Zorin OS look'n'feel.

How could I enable manual login in GUI Ultimate Version of Zorin OS 8.1. I tried to open a ticket on premium support, but didn't get any answer.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:41:05 pm

Hi,

System Settings > System > User Accounts > Unlock > "Disable/Enable Automatic Login" > done!.

User Accounts_001.jpg

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:34:22 pm

Hi Wolfman, I think he was referring to something I posted elsewhere:

http://www.howopensource.com/2012/12/en ... -10-12-04/

Wolfman

Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:37:52 pm

I was under the impression he wants to switch off enabled auto login?. :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:41:49 pm

No, it links to here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7099#p33781

;)

tryb3

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:01:39 pm

Hi,

First, thanks for the replies ;)

You misunderstood me (or i explained it bad)

When you start Zorin OS you have a screen with guest and your user to log in (when you have auto login off), if you select a user, you can enter the password

I joined my computer in a domain, the user doesn't exit on the computer cause it's authenticated bu Active Directory

In order to log in with this, i must manually enter domain\username or username@domain and the password
It works very well if i'm in text mode, but in graphical login i can't enter a user, i'm prompted a list of local users only

In Ubuntu you should edit your lightdmconfig to enable the manual login, like here : http://askubuntu.com/questions/121124/h ... -directory . And it works very well on native Ubuntu
I tried in Zorin, but looks like conf are not processed, or overwritten some way (maybe by theme manager).

If we install gdm on Zorin, it disable lightdm and we have the manual login, but we lose all Zorin's flavor :cry: and I love Zorin, but i need AD login
We tested both ultimate and core
I found a workaround , when on login screen, change to text console (ALT F1) login with ad user then with a startx I get my graphical mode with AD user ; but i can't promote zorin with such a workaround, at the very beginning ...

Thanks all

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:36:57 pm

Now that is good full information as to your aims! I suspect that it may be possible to run some sort of script or to add something to the boot command permanently, but sadly I am no script kiddy - if only Fr0zen from the beleated Pear Forum were here!

Have you tried following this guide?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Activ ... nbindHowto

Wolfman

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:45:39 am

Hi,

yiou can install "gnome-system-tools" and try that!:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/66718/ho ... and-groups

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

tryb3

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:05:28 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Now that is good full information as to your aims! I suspect that it may be possible to run some sort of script or to add something to the boot command permanently, but sadly I am no script kiddy - if only Fr0zen from the beleated Pear Forum were here!

Have you tried following this guide?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Activ ... nbindHowto

The binding to AD is done and it works, the only problem is that login screen in graphical mode don't allow to manually enter a username. It only shows local users.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:55:45 am

dkassemos

Thu May 15, 2014 6:15:49 pm

I am in the exact same situation with 8 core.... with no real help so far!

I did find out that 8 Lite greeter provides the "Other" option to logon with which will allow you to use LDAP or I assume ADS account

What is the difference between 8 Lite and 8 core?

Has anyone had any success using 8 core or better using authentication other than local yet?

D

Swarfendor437

Thu May 15, 2014 10:11:33 pm

tryb3

Fri May 16, 2014 11:17:08 am

Sorry dude, but your post have nothing to do with our problem (dkassemos and mine) .
It's about a broken configuration files being not parsed by lightdm.
In this file you can make appear or not the locals users, guest login and or manual login on graphical login screen.
NB : The binding to AD is done and working great.
The only issue is to allow manual entry of the login in lightdm on zorin. On debian, ubuntu (and others, but haven't tested) the lightdm conf file is parsed while login lightdm , but somehow in Zorin8 (only core or ultimate), the file isn't processed : Looking like it takes his configuration from another source than /etc/lightdm

dkassemos

Fri May 16, 2014 11:31:44 am

SOLUTION... Got it working but not with built-in Zorin utilities or fixing LightDM.

I installed the KDM display manager and set it as the default Display manager.(#apt-get install gdm kdm)
Then I configured system to use KDM instead of LightDM (#dpkg-reconfigure gdm)
By default no user list is displayed so it allowed my LDAP logins right away. (since LDAP and mkhome where already configured)
It did however display previous logged on user so I installed the KDE tools (using gui software store and they installed under System Tools->Preference -> KDE System Settings)

I was then able to configure the Display Manager just the way I wanted and LDAP users work great.

This worked for me hope it helps everyone else wanting to use Zorin in a true environment and not just as a stand alone PC

Swarfendor437

Fri May 16, 2014 11:53:38 am

tryb3 wrote:Sorry dude, but your post have nothing to do with our problem (dkassemos and mine) .
It's about a broken configuration files being not parsed by lightdm.
In this file you can make appear or not the locals users, guest login and or manual login on graphical login screen.
NB : The binding to AD is done and working great.
The only issue is to allow manual entry of the login in lightdm on zorin. On debian, ubuntu (and others, but haven't tested) the lightdm conf file is parsed while login lightdm , but somehow in Zorin8 (only core or ultimate), the file isn't processed : Looking like it takes his configuration from another source than /etc/lightdm

Hi, I was aware that you got the AD working - I just wanted to post the initial link to see if there was anything that might have been missing! ;)

And also because there was a direct link to the sceond bit - it would appear that [bold]dkassemos[/bold] has resolved this issue - please confirm if your issue has been resolved by following his guide in the post above this one! :D

tryb3

Fri May 16, 2014 12:07:30 pm

NB : I got a poor english, and the more I write, the more mistakes I do. Excuse me

Already tested that (switching to gdm) , but you lose all zorin's flavor ; In this case, i just don't see why stayin on zorin, I can stay on ubuntu with lightdm, and it works.

But :
Zorin is an Ubuntu fork
I tested it on ubuntu and it works
I tested it on zorin 6 and it works
I payed the premium version cause i like zorin look'n'feel and wanted to promote it in my company (BTW, the only answer that could give me the paid support is : edit lightdm.conf , they just can't read the file is not processed)
So i want my Zorin OS with my Zorin themes, Apple look etc etc...

I already found many workaround :
- reconfigure with gdm or any other manager and you'll have your manual login, but lose zorin's flavor
- when you have loginscreen : change console , log in with ad user and startx once logged, it will give you the X with the ad user : can't promote a linux distrib with this workaround
- reconfigure boot to boot in text mode. Log in on text mode with ad user, then startx : OK for me or any tech user, but many users are Apple-bitches*, and I can't put them on a text login (even if i startx in auto with bashrc or any other method)

the method I want to use is the one given by Zorin to enable AD login in graphic mode and it worked on Zorin 6
It's the way lightdm gives to enable ad login
It's the way any distrib who uses lightdm gives to enable ad login, and the ONLY LINUX DISTRIB where it doesn't work is ZorinOS8 ... For me it's a bug, and Zorin should correct it, but looks like i will throw all my Zorin's install and stick to another distrib

Yes I found many workarounds and they work (like the one from dksemmos), but they're workaround only if I must :
- switch graphical manager
- lose some great flavors

And of course, the only linux distrib for which i gave money was Zorin, and the premium support don't even answer to your tickets in a week (They didn't even read all my post before answering me.... , and answered me 1 month after)

Thanks for all your answers, (far better here than premium support), but I can't be OK with workarounds in professionnal environnement.
***** !!! possible start of troll !!!
Linux permanents workarounds to corrects bugs that devs don't want to correctt is the main point that will for ever stop Linux to replace Apple or Microsoft on customers computers.
Customers don't want workarounds, don't want to have to edit conf or to make anything to enable something that is enabled on all other OS and should be processed during install : On windows, mac and many linux, you dont have to do anything to enable ad login when you join a domain. Joining a domain automatically enables it and it should be done this way in zorin also.

Swarfendor437

Fri May 16, 2014 12:13:08 pm

Hi, thanks for the clarification - let's hope the Devs get it right with 9 then! ;)

Just for clarity, what are the main bits you like about Zorin you can't find in other distributions? ;)

dkassemos

Fri May 16, 2014 12:28:52 pm

Heritage Logon Screen.png
My End Result
Using KDM Maintained ALL the Zorin Flavor without any additional changes... just used default session....

Give it a try tryb3, I think it is what you want !!!!

With Windows XP gone I must change my small private school over to new OS, which is why I am moving to Zorin.
(Less of a learning curve for staff and students).

For my School I eliminated AD as well using 389 Directory Server for LDAP Authentication, with a web app that the School Secretary can use to manage users.

tryb3

Fri May 16, 2014 2:32:38 pm

OK i didn't understood that KDM retained all zorin theme. I'll give it a try tonight :D

Swarfendor437

Fri May 16, 2014 9:14:00 pm

Hi dkassemos, thanks for your great contribution - I feel I was a bit mean with the blue jewels on the other thread, so have another 600 on me! :D